Help - what is high res for magazine print

Melhopper21Melhopper21 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 6, 2007 in Finishing School
I was contacted by a magazine concerning some of my photos and was asked to send them a sampling of photos on a CD using high res. What size and res should I save the image to disc to send?

I'm shooting with a Canon 30D and using Photoshop Elements to edit/resize photos.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Melissa

Comments

• arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    I was contacted by a magazine concerning some of my photos and was asked to send them a sampling of photos on a CD using high res. What size and res should I save the image to disc to send?

I'm shooting with a Canon 30D and using Photoshop Elements to edit/resize photos.

Thanks,
    Melissa

I doubt you'll find anything higher than 185 linesreen for such publications. The general rule is to take the linescreen and double it to get to your optimal rez up to a point. This is known as the quality factor, so in this case, its 2X. But as the linescreen approaches 150lpi, the quality factor can go lower to 1.5.

So, with a 2X factor, you have two pixels per halftone dot. 185X2 would be a 370ppi file. But if you work with the more reasonable 1.5 factor, you're down to 277. Split the difference and work at 300ppi, you'll be fine.

Now you have to figure out how large you want the dimensions. For example, 8x10@300ppi? That's a file that's 2400x3000 pixels.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007

Thanks,
    Melissa

Melissa,

I have been reading through the Photographer's Market 2007 and most of the magazines are requesting files of 300 dpi minimum of 8x10 size.

Kristina