Killing the noise, what's best?

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited July 13, 2007 in Finishing School
I am using PSE5 and have shot my 4th of July pics in RAW but there is definitely noise issues I would like to try to tone down. What is the best plug in to use?
TIA

Comments

• hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    "Best" usually means costly. However, I used the free stand-alone version of Neat Image http://www.neatimage.com/ for a while, and eventually liked it so much I purchased the plug-in version. While I use CS2, it does work with Elements and some other packages. Or use it as a stand-alone.

There are others, but Neat Image is my personal favorite.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Thanks!
  • Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    This is the best comparison site I've seen on noise reduction software. Bottom line is that it is a toss-up between Neat Image, Noise Ninja, and Noiseware. I picked Noiseware because of speed, ease of use, and the ability to customize. This is one area where just about everyone seems happy with what they use.

http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise_print.html

Duffy
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Acr 4.1?
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I am using PSE5 and have shot my 4th of July pics in RAW but there is definitely noise issues I would like to try to tone down. What is the best plug in to use?
    TIA
    I have not tried ACR 4.1 just Lightroom 1.1 which is suppose to be the same thing. It cleans the noise up as nicely at Neat Image or Noise Ninja. Photoshop Elements 4.0/5.0 can use ACR 4.1 and it is available via download at adobe for free. You might try it as the price is right. If you don't like it then spend your money.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    This is the best comparison site I've seen on noise reduction software. Bottom line is that it is a toss-up between Neat Image, Noise Ninja, and Noiseware. I picked Noiseware because of speed, ease of use, and the ability to customize. This is one area where just about everyone seems happy with what they use.

http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise_print.html

Duffy

That's pretty much my answer. Any one of those threee. Just grab the demo & pick the one with the interface that works best for you. They are all magic.

I used Noiseware standalone in the past because I liked the interface the best & the batcing was nice. I'm now mainly using the NN built in to Bibble (and will buy a license to expand the functionality eventually).
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    For what it's worth, I use Noiseware Standard. I've been very satisfied with the results it provides. It does a great job cleaning up sport shots (ISO 1600/3200) taken after dark and in poorly lit arenas.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    I use Noise Ninja, but only on images with major noise problems that need to be printed fairly large. I typically just kill the noise in Lightroom for most shots...

I've found that noise isn't as much of a problem once you've printed the image - you may want to print first & then evaluate how much noise reduction you need to apply.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 10, 2007
    rdlugosz wrote:
    I've found that noise isn't as much of a problem once you've printed the image - you may want to print first & then evaluate how much noise reduction you need to apply.

Good suggestion - I agree that prints tolerate color noise much better than monitor images do.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    The best free Noisefilter in my opinion
    is Noiseware (Community Edition) found
    here:

http://www.imagenomic.com/download.aspx

I find that is is more accurate (filters
    better without destroying sharpnes)
    than NoiseNinja out of the box.

You can download it as a plugin for
    photoshop or as a standalone application.

The only drawback I can see is
    that the community edition doesn't
    support batch processing - but then,
    none of the other free tools seem to
    have this feature either.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited July 11, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    The only drawback I can see is
    that the community edition doesn't
    support batch processing - but then,
    none of the other free tools seem to
    have this feature either.

Nope, that's how they get you to buy the "advanced" or "pro" version. deal.gif Batching is important to me, so I did purchase the full standalone of Noiseware. I'll be adding NN soon since it's built in to Bibble (probably the basic $35 version--gets me what I need).
    edited July 12, 2007
    Nope, that's how they get you to buy the "advanced" or "pro" version. deal.gif Batching is important to me, so I did purchase the full standalone of Noiseware. I'll be adding NN soon since it's built in to Bibble (probably the basic $35 version--gets me what I need).

I'm confused. Which part of my post are you saying "nope" headscratch.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    count me in as a fan of neat image - I use it all the time
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited July 12, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I'm confused. Which part of my post are you saying "nope" headscratch.gif

Nope, the freebie versions don't do batching. That's their upsell mechanism (worked on me). I started with the community edition, then went for the pay version to get batching.
    edited July 13, 2007
    Nope, the freebie versions don't do batching. That's their upsell mechanism (worked on me). I started with the community edition, then went for the pay version to get batching.

Oops, thats what I meant to say .. the word "either" sould be "too" right?
    ― Edward Weston
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    I use the free verson of neat Image but NOTHING can compare to just getting your exposure dead on... generates as little noise as possible so its not such a problem.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007

There is one exception to this general practice that I know of:

http://www.tawbaware.com/neatbatch.htm

NeatBatch is freeware, it does not replace NeatImage, it just adds batching capabilities.

In the early stages of product development, there are often free or limited evaluation versions etc. This was the case for Neat Image, so around v2 of the stand alone PC application one could do all this for "free" (from memory it was limited to JPG read/write but had no other limitations).

Some links on the topic of grain and noise can be found here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/links.html#G

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx
    edited July 13, 2007
    Huh, I'd never seen that. Though, I'd probably have bought the pay version anyway--these developers need some incentive to keep working on a lot of these utilities we depend upon. I look at it as the shoe being on the other foot--we photographers whine & bitch so much about people expecting freebie work out of us, so why should we turn around and do the same to the programmers? It's hard work (I know, I are one. umph.gif). So for the tools I've found useful, I am happy to fork over the typically small price--though I will happily whine about the $600 pricetage on our favorite big-corp application. mwink.gif

zacker, you are correct, nailing the exposure gives you the best starting point of all. However there are times even that doesn't do it all--even Canon's wonderful low-noise CMOS sensors get some noise when running at the edge of the envelope at ISO 3200; Noiseware/NN/Neatimage gives those shots new life. I often find myself out at the very edge of can-you-even-take-a-shot-or-not, and the answer has to be "yes." Enter noise reduction software. deal.gif
    edited July 13, 2007
    zacker wrote:
    I use the free verson of neat Image but NOTHING can compare to just getting your exposure dead on... generates as little noise as possible so its not such a problem.

Your exposure can be good but you might still need ISO800 to
    capture the action. For exampe: I have to shoot at ISO1600
    and 3200 in small club concerts from time to time at f2.8 even
    at f2. Then the only way to reduce the noise is by using a software
    filter.
    ― Edward Weston