arrange gallery broken.

jmpsmashjmpsmash Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited August 2, 2007 in SmugMug Support
ok. this is getting really really frustrating.

the arrange gallery tool is very flakey, sometimes after i arranged the gallery, and then click "save", it refuses the save the new ordering. sometimes it will take it after a couple or retries, but today, it refused to take the new arrangement after at least 8 or 9 retries and i am about to give up on it. can someone take a look?????

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    jmpsmash wrote:

the arrange gallery tool is very flakey, sometimes after i arranged the gallery, and then click "save", it refuses the save the new ordering. sometimes it will take it after a couple or retries, but today, it refused to take the new arrangement after at least 8 or 9 retries and i am about to give up on it. can someone take a look?????
    Post a link to your site so we can take a look....
  • TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    I agree this tool is flaky at best. Things are in the right order now on my site, but using it is a crapshoot. Sometimes it works correctly after one try, other times it takes multiple attempts before the changes "stick."
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Trasmc wrote:
    I agree this tool is flaky at best. Things are in the right order now on my site, but using it is a crapshoot. Sometimes it works correctly after one try, other times it takes multiple attempts before the changes "stick."

there are probably a dozen threads about how "arranging galleries" doesn't always save (or "stick") a quick search here on dgrin brought up dozens of posts similar to yours, but smugmug has yet to admit there is any issue.... I know I've posted myself when it has affected me... ne_nau.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=63702
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    I am having the same issue I have tried this atleast 6 times already and it just refuses to change the order of my gallerie. Its a large number of images but still it just refuses to change the order when I click save.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    dmc wrote:
    but smugmug has yet to admit there is any issue....

If we can recreate it, so that then our engineers can fix it, then we can call it a bug. Until then, we always try to acknowledge the issue.

Many times, folks try to arrange by position but they have other sort options set in the gallery settings - and until the gallery is re-set to sort by position, the gallery won't change.
    edited July 24, 2007
    I am having the same issue I have tried this atleast 6 times already and it just refuses to change the order of my gallerie. Its a large number of images but still it just refuses to change the order when I click save.
    Gallery link, please. ear.gif
    edited July 24, 2007
    jmpsmash wrote:

Direct gallery link please? ear.gif
    edited July 24, 2007
    dmc wrote:
    there are probably a dozen threads about how "arranging galleries" doesn't always save (or "stick") a quick search here on dgrin brought up dozens of posts similar to yours, but smugmug has yet to admit there is any issue.... I know I've posted myself when it has affected me... ne_nau.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=63702
    Direct gallery link on your site, please? Thanks.
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    I got it too work.
    I turned off the filenames and then saw the warning message at the top telling me to change my gallery settings to sort by postion and if not my changes I did in the arrange window would not show so once I did that, they changed right away.

clap.gif
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
    edited July 24, 2007
    I got it too work.
    I turned off the filenames and then saw the warning message at the top telling me to change my gallery settings to sort by postion and if not my changes I did in the arrange window would not show so once I did that, they changed right away.

clap.gif
    naughty.gif
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    If we can recreate it, so that then our engineers can fix it, then we can call it a bug. Until then, we always try to acknowledge the issue.

Andy, this happens to me all the time when arranging galleries within a subcategory.

I find that it happens when I try to arrange galleries (in a subcategory) when pictures are still uploading. I add a new gallery to my site weekly, and I always want to arrange the subcategory with the new galleries first. However, new galleries always go to the end of the list so I have to arrange them every time. When I attempt to arrange them during the upload, it never sticks. Seems to work fine as soon as the upload is complete.

As a feature request, I'd love it if my gallery arrangement option (ie sorted by most recently created) could be permanently set so I don't have to arrange the subcategory every week.

Dave
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    I must echo the comments of others.

More times than not, my first attempt to arrange new galleries fails, but the second attempt is usually successful.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
    edited July 24, 2007
    KMCC wrote:
    I must echo the comments of others.

More times than not, my first attempt to arrange new galleries fails, but the second attempt is usually successful.
    I need a link. And really specific steps, including browser used.
  • jmpsmashjmpsmash Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I need a link. And really specific steps, including browser used.

it happens to every gallery that i tried one time or another. do you want me to send you link to all of them?
  • wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    jmpsmash wrote:
    it happens to every gallery that i tried one time or another. do you want me to send you link to all of them?

This is similar to the problem we had with arranging photos in a gallery. You move the galleries to where you want them and click on save, you go back to where you started with all the galleries in the original position. It can take 2 or 3 tries, sometimes more, before it sticks.
    edited July 27, 2007
    jmpsmash wrote:
    No, just one gallery link will do. Browser and steps to replicate please - thanks!
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Hiya,

So as you can probably see if you've looked at it, we were able to get this one fixed for you. The magic? Simply add a photo to the problem gallery (you can delete it too, makes no difference). That should make things go back to normal.

That's exactly what Andy did. clap.gif

Hope that helps.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Still not fixed.
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Hiya,

So as you can probably see if you've looked at it, we were able to get this one fixed for you. The magic? Simply add a photo to the problem gallery (you can delete it too, makes no difference). That should make things go back to normal.

Hope that helps.

I am set to sort by position and it still took me 8 tries to sort a gallery with 2 sub galleries. Having to add photos to make it work is not a fix, especially with how slow smugmug is.
    edited August 1, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Hiya,

Hope that helps.

thanks for the effort but that's not a fix. it is a work around.

the issue is that it takes many tries to get the new arrange order "accepted". there is no reason why it should take more than one try or add any thing to the gallery in order for that to work.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    No, just one gallery link will do. Browser and steps to replicate please - thanks!

Alright, I've had this happen many times too. Usually when I have a lot of photos in a gallery (more than 100) and the arrange is sporatic-- sometimes it works fine and other times it takes a couple of times to 'stick'. I've had this happen with bulk delete too. Here's one gallery where it has happened, but to be honest, it's happened dozens of times in dozens of different galleries-- not just this one.

http://petespringer.smugmug.com/gallery/2839436

All that said, and hopefully you won't just write me off, because as Andy knows, I generally use non-supported browsers (Camino and Seamonkey) but... if I'm having a problem I'll switch to FF and/or Safari to make sure it's not the browser before posting here. So if someone is seeing this weird arrange behavior in FF, that would help validate me! :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited August 1, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Alright, I've had this happen many times too. Usually when I have a lot of photos in a gallery (more than 100) and the arrange is sporatic-- sometimes it works fine and other times it takes a couple of times to 'stick'. I've had this happen with bulk delete too. Here's one gallery where it has happened, but to be honest, it's happened dozens of times in dozens of different galleries-- not just this one.

http://petespringer.smugmug.com/gallery/2839436

All that said, and hopefully you won't just write me off, because as Andy knows, I generally use non-supported browsers (Camino and Seamonkey) but... if I'm having a problem I'll switch to FF and/or Safari to make sure it's not the browser before posting here. So if someone is seeing this weird arrange behavior in FF, that would help validate me! :D

thanks for chiming in. i am using FF and it has happened to me numerous times.

this is an issue that ranges mildly annoying when it takes 2 or 3 tries for it to stick, to extremely irritating when it takes 9 to 10 times.
    edited August 2, 2007
    added a new gallery today.

took me 3 tries for the arrange setting to stick.

*hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge* ;)