CATAGORIES now GONE

voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited July 6, 2007 in SmugMug Support
So sad, 'bout to just cry. C'mon.

Took me all night attempting to find out how to rename a Catagory. Seems like the problem was thas SmuggLr had put my galleries " in a catagory named " OTHER. " Fine. But , I guess that " other " is selected from a standard list , and cannot be changed. Would've liked mention of that somewhere in " HELP. "
The " Catagories " part of " Help " jumps right into the joy of " sub catagories " with almost nothing on " Catagories . "
So, made another " Catagory . " Which I wanted to test whether or not I could rename later if I wanted. "Help" section could mention this . But , now , upon going to my Home Page ( photofur ) , for the first time : only all my " galleries " are displayed. I might have at first before going to my " home page " have somehow gone to a " gallery " and selected the new " Catagory " name ( The Dogs A.to G. ) for its' location before somehow getting back to " Home Page . "
Whatever. " Catagories " all gone now. No mention of any of this on " help " sections.
Good joke on me guys. Should I continue or are there more pies in the face waiting.

Marty

Comments

• voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    That's Just Pathetic
    Okay, so now I've got my " CATAGORIES. " Went through more " help " searching. Wound up in " new user " checklist. ( Oh, before that, had discovered the "hide" , "display" things in top right hand corners of various things on " HOMEPAGE " or " your photos " . Clicking "hide" really meant hide. Gone. No where an option to bring back . )
    So, I find myself on the " new user checklist " - even my galleries now gone or " hidden. " Somewhere in THERE I find mention of something related to this problem under something called " goodies ."
    Clicking " hide " sends this " box " to control panel. Okay, off to the control panel. I see galleries, the ever present sub catagories , even " featured Catagories " but no " Catagories . " I try " Galleries " click " display . "
    Back to " your photos ' or whatever it's called. There's my galleries. Now, I can't even remember how - but somewhere in Galleries is the option to display " Catagories. "
    C'mon. Just a plain list somewhere stating all of this somewhere. Not an easter egg hunt of clues. AND... when someone "hides" a catagory or all catagories, have a " box " called " Catagories" in the Control Panel , not hiding somewhere in " Galleries. "

Marty ( photofur )
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    voicelit wrote:
    Okay, so now I've got my " CATAGORIES. " Went through more " help " searching. Wound up in " new user " checklist. ( Oh, before that, had discovered the "hide" , "display" things in top right hand corners of various things on " HOMEPAGE " or " your photos " . Clicking "hide" really meant hide. Gone. No where an option to bring back . )
    So, I find myself on the " new user checklist " - even my galleries now gone or " hidden. " Somewhere in THERE I find mention of something related to this problem under something called " goodies ."
    Clicking " hide " sends this " box " to control panel. Okay, off to the control panel. I see galleries, the ever present sub catagories , even " featured Catagories " but no " Catagories . " I try " Galleries " click " display . "
    Back to " your photos ' or whatever it's called. There's my galleries. Now, I can't even remember how - but somewhere in Galleries is the option to display " Catagories. "
    C'mon. Just a plain list somewhere stating all of this somewhere. Not an easter egg hunt of clues. AND... when someone "hides" a catagory or all catagories, have a " box " called " Catagories" in the Control Panel , not hiding somewhere in " Galleries. "

Marty ( photofur )
    There's only one box and it's toggled back and forth to display categories or
    galleries. And if clicking "hide" goes to control panel where you have to click
    display to get them back. I think you've discovered most of this.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Sorry for the confusion. I see your were able to change the viewing style over to categories. Check out the Help page for a great video on the subjects you are talking about.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo
    http://www.smugmug.com/demos/help/categories/

Misplacing the boxes on the homepage is something we've all done. SmugMug put up a small reminder on the top of your page for you when you are logged in "NOTE: You have some great SmugMug features disabled. You can enable them in your control panel." THis note is just to let you know you have additional items in your control panel that can be put on your homepage. If you need any help, yell...... :)