Options

Buenos Aires- Cementerio de Recoleta

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited July 10, 2007 in Landscapes
Cementerio de Recoleta

Apparently, Eva Peron is buried here, but I didn't find her grave. Odd, as the place is not very large. This is the most fashionable bit of the city to be buried in, and plots cost more than down town apartments. The heyday of the cemetery (and indeed the city) was in the 1920s, so there are some nice Art Deco embellishments to many of the mausolea. Most of it is well kept up, but a few of the tombs are in shockingly bad repair.

170092306-L.jpg

170092020-M.jpg

The overal quality of the architecture is good, but the cemetery lacks the variety that on finds in the cemeterio monumentale in Milan, or the graveyard at Vysehrad in Prague. There is some statuary, however.

170092109-L.jpg

Some of it seems almost "mediterranean fascist" in inspiration. Then again, I believe that Argentina has a long historical connections with Italy, politica and otherwise.

170092429-L.jpg

Is that Benito Mussolini?

170092701-M.jpg

170091832-L.jpg

Most of the work here is nice, but conventional.

170092925-L.jpg

There are, however, a few rather interesting and more "modern" looking mausolea, such as this one for casualties of the war were Argentina teamed up with Brazil and Uraguay to try and eliminate Paraguay. The war had terrible consequences for Paraguay. The war left Paraguay utterly prostrate; its prewar population of approximately 525,000 was reduced to about 221,000 in 1871, of which only about 28,000 were men.

170092994-L.jpg

I haven't been to Paraguay, so I don't know what their take on the war is- I imagine it is seen as a tad less glorious than in the point of view of the Argentines.

170093048-M.jpg

170093101-L.jpg

As I said before, some of the tombs seem to be, at best, under repair, and at worst, falling apart. This leads to some interesting photographic opportunities.

170093123-L.jpg

170091795-L.jpg

170091912-L.jpg

Interestingly, the above ground structures all seem to lead to rather large underground chambers.

170092864-L.jpg

I hadn't the stomach to see what was inside this box, exposed to the elements.

170093268-L.jpg

Nor this one:

170093217-L.jpg
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    These are all very interesting photos. Thank you for sharing the information, as I know so little about South America. And you captured the most interesting places and statues. I like the boy soldier, and the tomblike ruins. Like you said, all out there in the open for people to get in to, it's amazing they are still there!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Fascinating!

It's like a mini-city, very elaborate.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    I am a huge fan of your travel photography and in particular your writeups. I've seen a few old cemetaries but each one certainly has it's own personality. I am shocked (also) that some of them are lying so broken and open with the caskets... right... there.

The last two are particularly jarring. Thanks for taking us on a journey through this beautiful and sad, silent city!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 6, 2007
    Fascinating series of images.

There is something about grave stones that is so intriguing. They raise so many questions and yield so few answers.

Do you think the next to last image was the result of grave robbers, perhaps?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fascinating series of images.

There is something about grave stones that is so intriguing. They raise so many questions and yield so few answers.

Do you think the next to last image was the result of grave robbers, perhaps?

I don't think so. The Cemetery is actually, for the most pary, well kept up and definitely guarded. I have no idea why certain sites seem to be in the condition they are in.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I don't think so. The Cemetery is actually, for the most pary, well kept up and definitely guarded. I have no idea why certain sites seem to be in the condition they are in.
    Howdy Justiceiro,

Very interesting images, and monuments, and insights.

Thanks for the tour, I have never been to BA!!

Also, Thank You again for your help on things to see in Portugal, not only did we use it for our trip last year, but have printed it off for our one this October.

Kindest Regards,
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    How fascinating. Thanks for sharing these with us.

ann
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2007
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Justiceiro,

Very interesting images, and monuments, and insights.

Thanks for the tour, I have never been to BA!!

Also, Thank You again for your help on things to see in Portugal, not only did we use it for our trip last year, but have printed it off for our one this October.

Kindest Regards,

Glad to hear you are going back. Did you post some pics of your last trip?