My Model

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited February 18, 2005 in People
Shooting conditions weren't exactly ideal... very overcast... lighting was not very easy to come upon... in fact... it started raining as we were leaving.

Critique away :) I got to get better some how

DSC02756_800.jpg

This is my permanent model :) Reshoots are always available :) my future DW

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Hi Steven,
    I like the colored items in the background. They give an interesting frame of your (great mwink.gif) subject, wihout distracting too much in my opinion. I also like the angle you have on this frame, it's a nice variation. As you said, lighting was difficult, which might explain the blown out parts on the left and the right of the tree.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Shooting conditions weren't exactly ideal... very overcast... lighting was not very easy to come upon... in fact... it started raining as we were leaving.

Steven
    Pretty model and pose. Personally, I find tilted pictures like this with recognizable structures like playground equipment somewhat unsettling. I want to rush over there and help before she falls off!!
    The conditions must have been tough. She seems well exposed, but the blown out area on the left is very distracting. Did you use a flash? I like to use a flash outdoors in these situations to help evenly light the subject and still catch a decent background. Even with a flash, it may have been impossible that day.

mitch
  • KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    I really like the shot and she is makes a very nice model! I'm not really into the whole 'tilt' thing. I keep wanting to straighten the pic, ha ha. Maybe just my opinion though. I think you did a nice job, keep up the good work!

Natalie
    Natalie:thumb

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.
  • trippy64trippy64 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    I like the subject, but compositionally it is too busy for me, I would come in closer and get rid of some of the equipment. JMHO
    trippy64.smugmug.com
    A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.

An opinion should be the result of thought,not the replacement of it.:scratch
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Thank you all for taking a minute to comment on my work. I do not do this for a living (although I wouldn't mind), but have a blast doing it. I just thought this picture was a little different from the norm and it came out decent.

I did use the onboard flash (Still waiting for more help here ), but the weather left much to be desired. Next time the Sun comes out.... she's all mine :)

I'm open to any and all comments. Thanks again,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Thank you all for taking a minute to comment on my work. I do not do this for a living (although I wouldn't mind), but have a blast doing it. I just thought this picture was a little different from the norm and it came out decent.

I did use the onboard flash (Still waiting for more help here ), but the weather left much to be desired. Next time the Sun comes out.... she's all mine :)

I'm open to any and all comments. Thanks again,

Steven
    Be careful about shooting in strong, midday sun. The light can be harsh and throw some brutal shadows on her face. Models also tend to squint more making for unflattering facial features. Your best bet is early morning or late afternoon sunlight. An overcast day can also work well if properly exposed and lit with additional flash.

Did you use the on board fill flash for this pic? If so, it is probably not strong enough to give you much fill at this distance for this shot. I would use my flash on a separate tripod and then play with the exposure on a few test shots.

mitch
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Be careful about shooting in strong, midday sun. The light can be harsh and throw some brutal shadows on her face. Models also tend to squint more making for unflattering facial features. Your best bet is early morning or late afternoon sunlight. An overcast day can also work well if properly exposed and lit with additional flash.

Did you use the on board fill flash for this pic? If so, it is probably not strong enough to give you much fill at this distance for this shot. I would use my flash on a separate tripod and then play with the exposure on a few test shots.

mitch
    Mitch,

First of all, thank you for the additional comments. I did use the onboard flash on my 717. I haven't been able to figure out which flash to go with yet. Still researching. I will have to try early day or evening. Weather here in California is getting irritating.

I would love to find more models to photograph, but I have no idea how to go about this. I just want people to experiment with and see where it goes.

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 18, 2005
    Nice try. I can understand the lighting difficulties especially with only an onboard available. (I can see your flash in the blue steel) The sky at left and glare off her shirt makes her face appear a bit dark by comparison. I agree with the comment that you crop this. I would lose everything left of the left-most blue column.

LiquidOps wrote:

DSC02756_800.jpg

Steven