Options

Flowers. Pink. Ow.

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited July 9, 2007 in Landscapes
A very kind neighbor has a gorgeous English garden and has let me have free rein of the place to take photos. Yesterday evening we had some beautiful sweet light hitting the petals, which is rare considering how tall the trees are on this street. :D

I came away with three, but I am unsure of my post-processing. I had quite a bit of difficulty keeping the colors from going overboard while preserving the warm tones of the sunlight. In particular the magentas/pinks keep going nuts when I play with the curves and color balance - did I hear someone say something about how these hues have particular trouble being replicated digitally? Or was that just my imagination?

170263231-L-1.jpg

170260445-L-1.jpg

170260019-M-1.jpg

If anyone's got any suggestions or feedback I'd always love to hear it. :wink I want to keep hitting up this garden in the next few days because the owner is eager to see my shots, but I want to make sure I do the blooms justice.

Comments

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    Can't help with the post too much here I do the LAB pop thing in curves works real good...but I seem to always over do itheadscratch.gif

Love the lighting and color on the first image very nice tones in there.
    Wish it was bigger.
    All in all looks like you did a good job to me.

If you have rein go back and get some more...I always do my best work on the second time :D

Fred
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Thanks for the input, Fred! I agree, going there the first time is always a bit of a deer-in-headlights feeling. Must relax and slow down and ignore the fact that the light doesn't stay put and wait for you. :D

Looks like I should start seriously playing around in LAB... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 9, 2007
    Stephanie,

Look at the RGB histogram on your flower shots and you will see that the magenta tends to get blown out way before the G or B channels. IF your camera will display the seperate RGB channels in histogram that can be a big help. Otherwide just be sure and use some - EC to protect the magenta channel.

Some folks use a copy of the K channel from the CMYK version and blend it back into the RGB version to create more depth to the image - rutt has posted that here on dgrin. Maybe I can find the link this evening at home.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin