Options

Ch 32-New Pic, Yellow

2»

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Thank you so much for the kind words, Nee, Angelo, Mel and Morris.

I started over with the RAW processing on this one. I thought the first one was too saturated and the shadows were too dark. So, I raised the exposure a little and did not increase the shadows. Then I was very gentle with the levels in Photoshop and added just a tiny bit of USM. The contrast is not as great on the lemons, but now the background shadows are not so deep and the weird yellow glow is off the background figures. I think this looks more natural.

A special thanks to Pathfinder for the tutorial on adding frames with drop shadows. I used to do all my drop shadows in Paintshop Pro because I didn't know how to do them in Elements. I got Photoshop CS for Christmas so now I'm trying to learn how to do everything in CS. I can finally use the great stuff in the Hall of Wisdom. Thanks to everyone who contributed the great tutorials. I'm just starting, but I'm thanking you all in advance. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

A special thanks to Andy for all the persuasion to start using RAW. I was reluctant to fill my hard drive with those huge files and to do the extra step of RAW processing. But, now I realize that I could never have done this shot without it. The ability to manipulate the exposure and white balance is invaluable. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    16193929-L.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    You go girl.. you bin gone an done it this time clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Didn't I see this in a magazine? Great job...
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    Thanks Lynn and 4Labs,
    I really appreciate the compliments! I progressed through so many stages here. This has really been fun! Thanks for taking the time to check back on this thread.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks Lynn and 4Labs,
    I really appreciate the compliments! I progressed through so many stages here. This has really been fun! Thanks for taking the time to check back on this thread.

Nice evolution! I like the final result very much, particularly the DOF and how despite all those complementary tones and bits it doesn't seem too busy.

Lynne
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    It was fun watching the progression to the final shot, which is great, by the way. I want to put the milk tag line on it, "Got Lemonade?"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    snappy -

this thread is priceless. the progression of shots, from first to last, is wonderful to read thru and the contributions by fellow dgrinners, well, this is what the challenges are about in my opinion!

congrats on a fine fine photograph, i really dig the final shot in this thread, the one you entered. it embodies predominant color, perfectly! it also shows a tremendous amount of creativity on your part, and i applaud you for that clap.gif

well done.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    Lynnesite wrote:
    Nice evolution!
    Thanks Lynne. I appreciate your taking the time to comment.
    Khaos wrote:
    It was fun watching the progression to the final shot, which is great, by the way. I want to put the milk tag line on it, & quot;Got Lemonade?"
    Thanks Khaos. I appreciate the compliment and your taking the time to stop by. You're new, I think. Anyway, welcome, glad to meetcha.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    snappy -

this thread is priceless. the progression of shots, from first to last, is wonderful to read thru and the contributions by fellow dgrinners, well, this is what the challenges are about in my opinion!

congrats on a fine fine photograph, i really dig the final shot in this thread, the one you entered. it embodies predominant color, perfectly! it also shows a tremendous amount of creativity on your part, and i applaud you for that clap.gif

well done.
    Thank you Andy. This thread really does demonstrate very well how this forum works. The "Aha" feeling I got after getting that last shot was my reward even without entering the challenge. It helps so much to have feedback. I hope lots of dgrinners read this thread so they can see how it works. Also, I direct you all to Stan's thread on the "Red Pepper" shot. His final shot was the result of his own creativity, but feedback from the peanut gallery kept him going I think.

Thanks again, Andy, for taking the extra time to come back to these threads and comment. Everyone loves a little positive reinforcement sometimes. :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    I agree with the others. You worked the problem and you nailed it. Congratualtions! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    Thanks Sid. And, thanks for all your help. I respect your opinion a lot. The best thing is that I really had a lot of fun with this challenge. My picture may look like a magazine ad, but that's not a bad thing, huh. I also do other styles. I believe in branching out, broadening myself, reaching as the challenge topic requires.