Options

Pine Hills Nature Preserve

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
edited July 9, 2007 in Landscapes
Yesterday, Nightingale and I went for a drive, and found ourselves exploring the Pine Hill Nature Preserve in Montgomery County. The Nature Preserve is just east of Shades State Park

It is always interesting to discover something new and totally unexpected, and that was our response to hiking in Pine hills yesterday.

170610948-L.jpg

Fortunately the Preserve is far more interesting than the dilapidated sign that is, sadly, in need of repair. The view from the road was not terribly encouraging, but the sign encouraged us to persevere.

There are four very narrow ridges-merely 4-6 feet wide, with drops over about 100 feet to the creek beds below. These are called "incised meanders" There are the results of erosion by water since the Ice Age.

This will be a fascinating area when the leaves fall in the fall and the ridges are exposed to view. Or in the snow in the winter, with the nice reflected lighting..

The sun was still very high in the sky, so I shot a few shots that I thought were interesting of the forest... The forest is a mixture of evergreen as seen on the Candian shield, and the more typical midwestern deciduous forests.

170762396-L.jpg

I have always thought forests are hard to photograph. Dark, monocolor, lots of detail, but hard to find nice subjects that stand out. So, I shot some leaves that are backlit first...

170760100-L.jpg

And another

170761259-L.jpg

We came too late for the May Apple flowers, but I though the light was attractive

170761613-L.jpg

Finally, we reached the creek bed below Turkey Backbone ridge. The sun looks too high to be about 3pm. ( I found the clock in my 5D had not been reset for Daylight Savings Time - How many others are there out there who have not reset the clocksinn their cameras for exif data??):D

170611644-L.jpg

I associate this kind of water erosion with cliffs in the West, rather than in western Indiana

170619906-L.jpg

It was an interesting afternoon, and an area we wish to return to as the seasons change. There are numerous areas that will offer lovely opportunities for the landscape shooter.

Comments or suggestions are freely encouraged:thumb
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    Jim:

Funny, you are reading my post while I am reading yours - all from 1000 miles away.

Nice shots. You are right about the mottled sunlight begin tough. For some reason, I really like the sign photo. I tend to to this as well when I go out, so I have a few also. It really helps me identify the place at a later date.

Nice of you to share.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    Nice photos Jim. I also find forests to be tough subjects, and typically concentrate on the forest floor or the shape of tree trunks, patterns in the bark and so on. You've found interesting subjects, and I really like the backlit leaves.

Looking forward to seeing the seasonal differences.

ann
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Nice photos Jim. I also find forests to be tough subjects, and typically concentrate on the forest floor or the shape of tree trunks, patterns in the bark and so on. You've found interesting subjects, and I really like the backlit leaves.

Looking forward to seeing the seasonal differences.

ann

Glad you enjoyed the images, Ann.

I can do patterns in the bark also:D

171023698-L.jpg

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Cool post Jim it is fun to find new locations in your own back yard.

Like the "star" photos..you guys got me trying this all over the place.
    Was trying this at a new church I found the other day I walked away almost blind from looking up at the sun so long :D

We just got back from the Big South Fork and between the heat and the bugs it was some very tuff hiking...I think I will wait for fall...I know my wife had enough :D

Good stuff thanks

Fred
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Muench star overload! (In a good way)

Great job capturing the forest in a difficult season and lighting. I find midsummer hard to wrangle, it being so green and all.

Love the backlit leaves - esp with the bug!
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Muench star overload! (In a good way)

:D Yaay Marcclap.gif
    Great job capturing the forest in a difficult season and lighting. I find midsummer hard to wrangle, it being so green and all.

The monochromatic greeness is rather like the monochromatic red, tan or gray of a canyon. It can be used for B&W or the color manipulated to more match what our eye sees ala D Margulis.......I have some B&W but they do not really look good as small images on monitors, although I think they may print satisfactorily. Monochromatic seems to hold up better than B&W for some reason.

Love the backlit leaves - esp with the bug!

Glad you liked the bug - It caught my eye at the time alsothumb.gif

I liked the dying May Apple the best of the lot thoughne_nau.gif