Options

Airshow 2007 - Duxford Airforce base

harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited July 9, 2007 in Landscapes
I went to my first ever airshow today - to the IMW Airshow at Duxford Airbase, not too far from home, just a 40 mins drive. Lots of people at the Airshow and a huge number of photographers - I've never seen soo many Canon DSLRs+L glass and Nikon D200's before!

Here's a few shots from the E1 + 135mm f3.5 OM Zukio (manual focus) and the 14-54Zd. I took just under 4GB of shots, which was shocking. I've only processed a few so far , but from what i can tell the E1 and the two lenses did pretty good, esp the 135mm. I really wish Oly would issue a firmware update to allow manual focus lenses to give some kind of focus comfirmation - my friends DMC L1 does it right of the box with all lenses so I don;t know why Oly haven;t done so. The other lesson learnt was - need more reach !!

Here's the gallery ( a lot more to push through CS3):

http://HarjTT.smugmug.com/gallery/3119867/1/170873362

1. "old Crow" - P51D mustang. E1 + 135mm OM Zukio

170859823-L.jpg

2. My What a big lens! E1+ 135mm Zukio OM.

170850224-L.jpg

3. Pro - Photographers ! E1 + 135mm Zukio OM

170848398-L.jpg

4. Taxing - North American B25 - Mitchell and a B17G preparing to take off. E1 + 135mm Zukio OM

170855767-L.jpg

5. "I'm hit" - B17G "Sally B" E1 + 135mm Zukio OM

170853591-L.jpg

6. "Big baby Doll" - P51D Mustang USAAF E1 + 135mm Zukio OM

170852785-L.jpg

7. "Watching" E1 + 14-54ZD

170863548-L.jpg

Comments and Critique is more than welcome.

Cheers

HarjTT

:D :thumb

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Really nice shots there! Looks like you had fun, are you hooked on air shows now (like I am)? :D

That looks like an interesting show, lots of older planes which is fun. My local show is more jets and aerobatics - personally I'd like to see some old bombers and WWII fighters flying around.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2007
    Hi DJ
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Really nice shots there! Looks like you had fun, are you hooked on air shows now (like I am)? :D

The answer to your question is a Big Yeah !thumb.gif:D:D. I can't believe that I'd never been to one until now headscratch.gif.

"That looks like an interesting show, lots of older planes which is fun. My local show is more jets and aerobatics - personally I'd like to see some old bombers and WWII fighters flying around."

They seem to have 2 airshows at Duxford this one in July was the vintage WWI and WWII planes with a fly-by by an USAF F15E. The second is set for Sept (I'm booking my tickets asap ... and need a bigger lens, well just a 400mm) which is a mixed with jets from the RAF/USAF and those from the museum. I was hopign to see the P38 on Sunday but it wasn;t meant to be as it was still state side.

Cheers

HarjTT

:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Loved 6th a lot great photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Fun! Man, a lot of long lenses there. eek7.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    harjtt wrote:
    Hi DJ
    DJ-S1 wrote:

The answer to your question is a Big Yeah !thumb.gif:D:D. I can't believe that I'd never been to one until now headscratch.gif.

"That looks like an interesting show, lots of older planes which is fun. My local show is more jets and aerobatics - personally I'd like to see some old bombers and WWII fighters flying around."

They seem to have 2 airshows at Duxford this one in July was the vintage WWI and WWII planes with a fly-by by an USAF F15E. The second is set for Sept (I'm booking my tickets asap ... and need a bigger lens, well just a 400mm) which is a mixed with jets from the RAF/USAF and those from the museum. I was hopign to see the P38 on Sunday but it wasn;t meant to be as it was still state side.

Cheers

HarjTT

You should definitely not miss the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford. It is the world's largest military air show. You'd better believe me and my bigma are going to be there!

This year is the 60th anniversary of the US Air Force so it's going to be a particularly big deal. thumb.gif

Yay for having a wife in the US military, our family gets in free. :ivar
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    harjtt wrote:
    Hi DJ

You should definitely not miss the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford. It is the world's largest military air show. You'd better believe me and my bigma are going to be there!

This year is the 60th anniversary of the US Air Force so it's going to be a particularly big deal. thumb.gif

Yay for having a wife in the US military, our family gets in free. :ivar

Hi Awais, Sid and Mike

Thanks for the comments on the pics. Honestly got to say I've never seen so many photographers and so much gear in one spot.

Mike, thanks for the heads up on the airtattoo. I just looked at the list of aircraft and who is turning up and my .. it looks like its going to be pretty special. So I ain't going to miss that one.

Cheers

HarjTT

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    harjtt wrote:
    ... and need a bigger lens, well just a 400mm

Well don't get too carried away! I use a 70-200mm on a 1.6x body, so 320mm equivalent. That's plenty for me. Some shots need a lot of cropping but most are fine. I shot for 6 hours at the last show, a 400mm lens would have been tough to hold for that long.