First try at LPS (Would love your feedback).

EnricoSEnricoS Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited July 9, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey there!

I'm new to this forum so I just wanted to say hello. I work in IT, have no background in arts/design, though I love taking photos.

I've never entered any photo competitions before, but I thought LPS would be fun way to learn. I'm learning so much just by looking through everyone's entries. Wow! :clap

Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback on some of the photos I considered for LPS #8. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments.

This first photo below is the entry I ended up submitting. I used this photo mainly because I didn't think my other photos were "explosive" enough. I did like the photo of my niece, but I think she is too cute to be explosive. What do you think? :D

I look forward to the next round, though it seems like a tough one.

Thank you! :thumb
Enrico

(1) Title: Fore!
This was fun as I was able to combine my two passions for golf and photography.

170354486-L-1.jpg

(2) Title: Get in the hole!
170707692-L.jpg

We were at my nephew's 2nd year birthday at "The Wiggles" play centre in Sydney. There were some fun and potential explosive photos.

(3) Title: Splash
170707568-L.jpg

(4) Title: Kaboom
170707643-L-1.jpg

(5) Title: Near air collision
170717716-L.jpg

Enrico :cool
cephotography.smugmug.com

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." (Yoda)

Comments

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    I was following the entries on closing day, and when I saw your entry pop up, I thought it was a pretty good entry. Proper interpretation of the theme. I pondered exactly how you got the picture, if were layered or not. That's for you to explain or keep secret.

You'll see from previouis feedback threads that it's no easy thing to figure how they finally get selected. Either of the first two would have been perfect for the theme, and they are also good captures in that they finish well. The other shots would not have been taken seriously as they just seem like snapshots.

JMHO!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • EnricoSEnricoS Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I pondered exactly how you got the picture, if were layered or not. That's for you to explain or keep secret.
    Thanks for your feedback, Mark.

Aside from tonal adjustments and cropping tighter, I did not do any other editing. Though, I had to play around with the shutter speed quite a bit to make the ball show up clearly before contact.

I wasn't entirely happy with the shot but I ran out of time... I wanted to squeeze in nine holes before sunset. rolleyes1.gif

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Ah, the perils of trying to do both photography and golf at the same time! I do a good bit of commercial work on local golf courses, and the agents I work for have figured out that they had better have me come do one or the other, but not both...

Well, for a single shot, that's pretty good timing. Keep up the effort, as this "round" seems to have no obvious answers that can be found on the course. Or can they?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Great Idea
    Hi Enrico...

I also think it was a great idea for the theme. I think the you shot it very well, but for another approach, maybe you could attempt to freeze the action with a faster shutter speed at the moment of impact or shortly after so the ball is leaving the club and making sure that the person swinging the club gets plenty of grass and dirt so you'd have that flying all around in the pic.

Of course from trying to shoot many of my own "explosive" ideas, I know it's very difficult if not impossible to capture in the small window of time right before and right after the moment of impact in many cases. But that's one thing I would definitely have recommended - getting plenty of grass and dirt flying around - the more debris the better I would think!

By the way, I love that pic of the child throwing the balls around! That's a great frozen moment.
  • EnricoSEnricoS Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    HoofClix wrote:
    Well, for a single shot, that's pretty good timing. Keep up the effort, as this "round" seems to have no obvious answers that can be found on the course. Or can they?
    Heheh... if only the answers to the mysteries of life can be found on the golf course. mwink.gif
    Pat664422 wrote:
    But that's one thing I would definitely have recommended - getting plenty of grass and dirt flying around - the more debris the better I would think!
    Thanks, Pat. I did want to try some photos from a bunker shot but didn't get the opportunity. Hopefully, next time.
    Pat664422 wrote:
    By the way, I love that pic of the child throwing the balls around! That's a great frozen moment.
    That's my 2yr old niece, Paige. I think she's too adorable to be considered explosive. Though, it might have been interesting if I was able to capture her during a tantrum.