Ruby Beach, Olympic National Park

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited July 16, 2007 in Landscapes
Here are some shots from last night at Ruby Beach in the Olympic National Park (Washington State, USA). It was completely fogged in until just after sunset when it was just a bit less fogged in. Glad I waited.

Not sure which one of these I like best. The second and third images are the same but with a different crop (full frame 2:3 to 8 x10).

C&C most welcome.

171201684-L.jpg

171274567-L.jpg

171195256-L.jpg

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    My, oh, my. Very nice. I think I like the third one the best but ask me tomorrow and I may give you a different answer.
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    I like 'em all thumb.gif. If I had to choose, it'd be the second one; there's something about that perspective that really appeals to me (not to mention that I have almost the exact same shot during the day). I really like the whole Highway 101 area out by the coast, but you were fortunate to have much more dramatic lighting than when I was there last :cry
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    The foreground puts #2 at the top of the heap, for me.

Nice work!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
  • SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Very Cool! It has been a few years since I took a shot from almost this very place...but I like yours better.

23319988-L.jpg
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Whooooaaaaa! If they were mine, I'd hang them all!!!!!!!!! Hard to pick......I like #2, but then again...I love seeing the larger scale land mass up close. These are just gorgeous! thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 9, 2007
    I do like that first one. Beautiful. Calm.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Thanks for all the comments! This whole coastline is special, primeval. Can you believe they were going to put offshore oil drilling rigs here in the late 80's/early 90's ?!? It's well protected now (I used to work on that kind of stuff), until they one day unprotect it.

Anyway, I had several hours to walk around, enjoy the scenery and get up a little closer to things in the fog instead of just focusing on dramatic landscapes 'cause that just wasn't gonna happen in pea soup. While the light was flat it was perfect for some black and whites.

The beach there is mostly cobble, like this ....

171366490-L.jpg

And people like to build little sculptures with them all over, like this ....

171395563-L.jpg
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    The foreground puts #2 at the top of the heap, for me.

Nice work!

Right, I'm with you here but I struggle with this both in on-scene composition and post edit. I know the image with the foreground is more dynamic but I always want to move in closer and focus on the primary element. Maybe that's why the wide angle with foreground works so well, it pulls the viewer in without smacking them in the face with all the drama of a tighter crop.
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Whoa, beautiful thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    I agree on the second view...stunning.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    I like the first one
    Did you do a lot of post processing on these? The color is fantastic. You were lucky you waited...
  • greenplasticdavegreenplasticdave Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    No.2 definitely. The vertical composition is much more suitable, especially as it compliments the 'direction' of the stick.

(Not sure I've explained myself very well there)

-Dave-

www.mirkwoodcottage.typepad.com/davidjamesphotography
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Stunning. That's all that need to be said. Stunning.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Hi Thomas,

These awe amazing. What great light! Definately wall hangers. thumb.gif

James
  • LocLoc Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    My favorite is number two. I think having the rocks as foreground works very well for the photo.
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Awesome bowdown.gif

I like the first one best because it is so primeval, and so am I.

Beautiful work all around though.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    i like # 2 also... but then, i'm a bit partial to vertical format shots with a strong foreground lead-in. spectacular colors! i have a very unique shot taken at Ruby Beach a couple of years ago... it's a really wonderful place for photos!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • GinnyGinny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    I like number 2 also because I love foreground elements that help me visualize being on the shore.

But .... there is something about the ghostly quality of the large outcropping in the distance glowing in the fog in number 1. I would have liked to see a telephoto lens shot from the other side of the reflecting pool to compress the scene a bit and use the cliffs on either side as a natural frame for that ghost cliff in the distance. As I stare at that cliff with that exposure, I can almost hear the theme from Pirate of the Carribean and see a ship appear from behind it! :D
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    The first 2 are my favorites. I love the combination of foreground detail and the overall lighting quality. Excellent pictures !!!!! thumb.gif
  • SDJamesSDJames Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    I agree with most on #2, but if those rocks were in the foreground of #3, I would like it best.
    You guys get some great stuff on your beaches up there to add to the scene. Mostly sand and bigger rocks down here.
    Thanks for sharing, great color.
    40D, 400 f5.6L, 70-200 f2.8L, 50 f1.8, Tam 17-50 f2.8