Zion: Opinions on sky needed

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
edited July 11, 2007 in Landscapes
This is another shot of the Patriarchs (well, 2 of them) at sunrise. Converted to B&W via LAB lightness channel, duplicated grayscale result, multiply blend mode and used mask to pick out shadows.

But the sky just seems...bland. Not a cloud in it, and I am loath to bring some in from another shot. I'm afraid if I make it lighter, it will be blown out or merge with the white stone of the peak. I could make it darker :dunno
Or just get over it. :crazy

It was actually very blue, since this was shot at about 6:30am.

171435396-L.jpg

Feedback appreciated
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Post the color? I think that processing it so that you mimic what a red filter would do on an old BW camera would darken the sky and add drama. The patriarchs might pop out more then.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Post the color? I think that processing it so that you mimic what a red filter would do on an old BW camera would darken the sky and add drama. The patriarchs might pop out more then.

I actually used the first image here. It is the 'normal' exposure. The other 2 are the bracketed images. I hadn't stacked/blended them yet since I was more interested in playing with LAB B&W conversions. But the sky is pretty much the same across the board, even under/over exposed. BTW - these are converted straight froma RAW to jpeg - no tweaking at all.

Normal (but Cropped)
    171449855-M.jpg

Underexposed (for highlights)
    171449884-M.jpg

Overexposed (for Shadows)
    171449828-M.jpg

Thanks.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    I really like it as is, but I'm curious as to what other's will say. Nice sharp conversion!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited July 10, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif I would try darkening the sky some. There's not much you can do about the flatness of the sky short of major trickery. On the positive side, the uniformity makes it a snap to select and mask it, then play all you want. It's a good shot as is, BTW, so you could also just let it stand.

Regards,
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    What about sepia color or duotone ne_nau.gif

I would think you could mask the sky...shouldn't be too hard with those sharp edges and color and darking the sky.

I do like the B/W though :D

Fred
    edited July 10, 2007
    DavidTO, saurora, Richard and Fred: thanks for the feedback (and compliments). I didn't think it was worthy of a whipping post, especially since I was playing more with the LAB B&W conversion than anything.

I have used a number of the B&W conversion methods. I mainly use calculations, or sometimes channel mixing. They seem to give me the contrast/pop I am looking for. But I see great images from folks who use the LAB method so.... forever the experimenter! rolleyes1.gif

I was thinking I would just stick with one and really fine tune my process, but I do like how this turned out, especially since it didn't take long.
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 10, 2007
    You can probably darken this sky considerably before converting to B&W, without a mask -

Duplicate the image, convert to LAB, then use the Blend IF sliders in a Multiply blend mode which will darken everything. Use the Blend If sliders to exclude everything that is not blue in the B channel. There is probably not much blue below the horizon in the color version.

After darkening the sky, you can run through Channel Mixer or whatever you use to do your B&W conversion.

If you decide to do a selection of the sky, you might consider a linear gradient with the darker area at the top, decreasing as it approaches the mountains border.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 10, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Duplicate the image, convert to LAB, then use the Blend IF sliders in a Multiply blend mode which will darken everything. Use the Blend If sliders to exclude everything that is not blue in the B channel. There is probably not much blue below the horizon in the color version.

Thanks Pathfinder. That might work for this image. I had a post on that method about 2 weeks ago, because no matter where I did the Blend If point or split the sliders, it was highly posterized. But I was doing the red channel and there were red elements scattered throughout the image.

The only suggestion I got on several forums was to look at using a channel as an apply image mask. That did work actually.
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 10, 2007
    Applying the red channel will usually darken the sky a bit. You can apply it as a darken or multiply mode also, instead of a normal blending mode.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 11, 2007
    Another way is...
    Choose Curves don't change anything just hit enter
    Choose Multiply for the curve blend mode
    Fill the curve mask with black to hide everything
    Then with a white brush paint in areas you want to darken

Fred
    edited July 11, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    Another way is...
    Choose Curves don't change anything just hit enter
    Choose Multiply for the curve blend mode
    Fill the curve mask with black to hide everything
    Then with a white brush paint in areas you want to darken

Fred

I'll have to try that. BTW, I like your City Art and IR work a lot (not that the other galleries are shabby). My current focus is to put together a B+W gallery of the scope of your IR work. It looks like you have nailed it in yours. And I always enjoy your posts.
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited July 11, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I'll have to try that. BTW, I like your City Art and IR work a lot (not that the other galleries are shabby). My current focus is to put together a B+W gallery of the scope of your IR work. It looks like you have nailed it in yours. And I always enjoy your posts.

Thank you thumb.gif

Fred