Options

Abandon(ed) ship

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited July 17, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Kayaking in the harbor pays off!

On this trip I tried very hard to get some variety in my focal lengths. I confess that due to sheer physical exhaustion by the time I landed and took my camera/tripod out, I was a bit too wrung out to get creative in how high or low I shot things. :rolleyes

Also, the ship being half-submerged (tilted) made for some very, very crooked horizons, which I tried to compensate for in PP. Did it work?

Feedback encouraged, particularly WRT the conversion process. This location just screamed 'greyscale' to me!

171524989-M-1.jpg

171525094-M-1.jpg

171525632-L-1.jpg

171526033-M-1.jpg

171526781-M-1.jpg

171526233-L-1.jpg

171526666-M-1.jpg

The way home:

171526898-M-1.jpg

This place reminded me of the Berlitz commercial where the German guy was learning to take emergency calls in English:
  • "Mayday! Mayday! We're sinking!"
  • "Vaht are you... sinking about?"
:D

Comments

• Options
    RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Great shots, #4 looks like some one through a rock and you took the picture just as it passed through the glass.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Papy wrote:
    Great shots, #4 looks like some one through a rock and you took the picture just as it passed through the glass.

Ryan

Man, these are fantastic schmoo! Some time you will have to come up and check out our boat graveyard on Staten Island. I've never actually been on the ship- was that authorized, or is it a sort of "infiltration" thing?

55129745-M.jpg

It calls to you.... yeeeesssssss......

If you are up in NYC, let me know.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    eek7.gif Your work always inspires me very nice thumb.gif keep it up
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    You gutsy girl! mwink.gif Were you on this boat by yourself??? Looks spooky and almost haunted to me!!! Really decayed and right up your alley! Great shots...good conversions. I think you did pretty good with the tilting.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2007
    Papy - if I were that lucky I could have been accused of vandalism! I think it's most likely that someone jammed the rock into the hole at some point... although I like to think that whoever threw it just didn't throw it quite hard enough.

Justiceiro - I love that boat graveyard! I've never been there, though. I think I recently (as in the past week) posted a comment in your gallery about it. And that was a total coincidence. thumb.gif You are definitely on the top of my list to meet up with when I'm up that way. Which is hopefully soon, even though the summer is winding down and I'm still so busy...

Awais you flatter me! I am always so inspired with your shots.

Saurora I had my husband and a friend with me - and we really did need all hands available at times. I would never recommend making the trek alone as it was about 6 miles of paddling in all (and I'm not terribly buff.):D As I was leaving I capsized my boat, too. Thankfully my camera was already packed away in a dry bag, but my boots are still in the process of drying out.
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Excellent work! I am always looking for decrepitude to photograph - one of my favorite subjects.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Kayaking in the harbor pays off!

On this trip I tried very hard to get some variety in my focal lengths. I confess that due to sheer physical exhaustion by the time I landed and took my camera/tripod out, I was a bit too wrung out to get creative in how high or low I shot things. rolleyes1.gif

Also, the ship being half-submerged (tilted) made for some very, very crooked horizons, which I tried to compensate for in PP. Did it work?

Feedback encouraged, particularly WRT the conversion process. This location just screamed 'greyscale' to me!
    The way home:
    This place reminded me of the Berlitz commercial where the German guy was learning to take emergency calls in English:
    • "Mayday! Mayday! We're sinking!"
    • "Vaht are you... sinking about?"
    :D

Hi ya Schmoooo, what an adventure, and you got wet in the end too rolleyes1.gif
    .....but not before you got some good shots clap.gif
    The series in B&W look awesome, I particularly like the #4th shot too.

Excellent series thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2007
    Hamster, that's great to hear! I know dirt and rust and decay is not everyone's visual cup of tea. ;)

Thanks Skippy! I love your perky optimism - always comments from you make me smile :D
  • Options
    riz_satriz_sat Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    nice pics schmooo
  • Options
    polartownjunkiepolartownjunkie Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    i like that first one, an old sigh
    since the origin of matter is matter
    shiny new thoughts are recycled clatter

down to my cell phone shooter,
    anyone have a decent early SD card digtal for grabs?

a doomed love
  • Options
    loiloi Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    love these photos, very moody...very cool...:D
    there is a beauty which is not obvious...and a certain silence...which at any moment can be broken...thumb.gif
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." Li Po
    http://loi.smugmug.com/gallery/3539566#199917032