Raw

2»

Comments

• sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Van Isle wrote:
    And as far as saving RAW files go, in most editors when you save the RAW file you also save the file that contains all your adjustments. So when you delete the JPEG to save space after it's been uploaded to a website or printed, you can easily go back to the RAW file and make another JPEG, same size, quality, or different. The scope is infinite!

VI

PS it also sounds like your getting the hang of making the shot in-camera. Although you can PP the heck out of pictures, there is nothing better than a great shot made on site. PP is good for little tweaks if you need it; much more becomes noticeable and detracts from final quality.

So, when it asks, "crw256 has been modified, do you want to save the changes?" if I say yes, it is actually saving two files - the one I've adjusted and the original? or have I permanently modified the original?
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    sara505 wrote:
    So, when it asks, "crw256 has been modified, do you want to save the changes?" if I say yes, it is actually saving two files - the one I've adjusted and the original? or have I permanently modified the original?

It is doing neither. It is not saving two copies, nor is it saving a permanently mod'd original.

It is NOT changing the original RAW file, it is saving that file alongside the set of adjustments that are applied when you open it in that editor. So you can always make changes to your adjustments without losing data in the original RAW file. Hence yet another benefit of non-destructive RAW editing. Cool, eh?
    In fact I think in certain editors you can save different versions of an edit with NO changes or loss to data of the original RAW file and without duplicating the original file, just adding a different set of adjustments.
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    The waters have gotten a bit muddied in the last few posts.

In all the converters I have used, the original RAW file is not touched, the only thing that is being saved is a set of conversion instructions. Depending on the converter, this can be a sidecar file (e.g., Bibble) or in a central database (e.g., Adobe's products). Either way all that is being saved is your conversion steps. If I were to find a converter that changes the original file, I would not use it (FYI, AFAIK Nikon NX does this--and trashes the files because of it).
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    If I were to find a converter that changes the original file, I would not use it (FYI, AFAIK Nikon NX does this--and trashes the files because of it).

Une petite correction, SVP:

No siree. Nikon NX is non-destructive editor for Nikon RAW (NEF). I use it all the time! It may be destructive for JPEG or other RAW, but I don't know. ne_nau.gif

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Van Isle wrote:
    Une petite correction, SVP:

No siree. Nikon NX is non-destructive editor for Nikon RAW (NEF). I use it all the time! It may be destructive for JPEG or other RAW, but I don't know. ne_nau.gif

VI

OK. I have read from some NX users that it wrote to the RAW file & caused them issues. I would prefer to be misinformed there.
    edited July 17, 2007
    The waters have gotten a bit muddied in the last few posts.

In all the converters I have used, the original RAW file is not touched, the only thing that is being saved is a set of conversion instructions. Depending on the converter, this can be a sidecar file (e.g., Bibble) or in a central database (e.g., Adobe's products). Either way all that is being saved is your conversion steps. If I were to find a converter that changes the original file, I would not use it (FYI, AFAIK Nikon NX does this--and trashes the files because of it).

So, just messing around, I 1. adjusted the image; 2. converted and saved as jpg; 3. saved changes to original RAW file. I now see in my folder the three thumbnails: The RAW, with noted change; a tiff file of same image; and the jpg. The RAW image looks great and shows the changes I made, the tiff and the jpg don't look so good. Does this sound right? Should I continue in this vein? What am I actually doing to the file if I'm not ending up with the changes I made?
    edited July 17, 2007
    sara505 wrote:
    So, just messing around, I 1. adjusted the image; 2. converted and saved as jpg; 3. saved changes to original RAW file. I now see in my folder the three thumbnails: The RAW, with noted change; a tiff file of same image; and the jpg. The RAW image looks great and shows the changes I made, the tiff and the jpg don't look so good. Does this sound right? Should I continue in this vein? What am I actually doing to the file if I'm not ending up with the changes I made?

But when I open up the image in ps it looks good, and it looks good on the web site.

It's all a little confusing - but I'll just keep cracking away at it.
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    I wouldn't.

You wouldn't what?

But then I don't care for either (RSP's awful color rendition--a shame as the rest was very nice, LR's jack-of-all-trades compromises--bleh).

Well, that's nice, but the question was about a replacement for RSP now
    that it's dead. Since Lightroom 1.1 is a continuation of RSP (Adobe bought
    RSP and a couple of the people who worked on it), and it is based on its
    engine, I think it is a perfectly valid answer, no matter what your opinion on
    the software itself.

RSP is an orphan app with no support

Ummm, yeeees, that is why a replacement was asked for, nay? headscratch.gif
    edited July 18, 2007
    sara505 wrote:
    the tiff and the jpg don't look so good. Does this sound right?

That depends on what you mean by "don't look so good". Do the colors look
    bland compared to what you see in Photoshop? If so, it's probably your color
    profile. Try converting it to sRGB before saving the image as a JPG.
    edited July 18, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    That depends on what you mean by "don't look so good". Do the colors look
    bland compared to what you see in Photoshop? If so, it's probably your color
    profile. Try converting it to sRGB before saving the image as a JPG.

My profile in DPP is set to sRGB.
    The RAW file looks crisp and bright and reflects the changes I made. The converted jpg, as viewed beside it in DPP, looks dull, as if I had not adjusted it. But when I open the jpg in ps, it looks fine, seems to relect the changes I made to the original.
    It must be the difference in the interfaces - if that's the correct language?

Next, I will learn how to batch process. I have figured out how to get the desired files into the batch folder, now - how to assign the changes to the batch?
    edited July 18, 2007
    sara505 wrote:
    The converted jpg, as viewed beside it in DPP, looks dull, as if I had not adjusted it. But when I open the jpg in ps, it looks fine, seems to relect the changes I made to the original.

This sounds exactly like a color profile problem. Try this, open the JPG in
    Photoshop, go to Edit->Convert to Profile and tell us what is in the "Source
    Space" field.
    edited July 18, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    This sounds exactly like a color profile problem. Try this, open the JPG in
    Photoshop, go to Edit->Convert to Profile and tell us what is in the "Source
    Space" field.

I don't have that option. I'm too embarrassed to say what version ps I'm using.
  • wolfejmwolfejm Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Another option... DxO
    I just mentioned this in another thread, and it seemed to be more or less on target for this discussion too. I have a Rebel XTi and too recently considered how to sort all this raw processing out. I purchased DxO Optics Pro and use it for all of my raw processing. I really like the output, the interface isn't bad, and the options are pretty cool. The only thing it doesn't do is any kind of auto color fixing. There are a lot of (too many?) options for controlling color and white balance. Just not a one-click fix my color button.

Thought you might be interested, because this helped me a lot. It has given me a pretty reasonble workflow for a very reasonble price. Incidentally, many of the fixes (especially the gemotric ones) are calibrated to an enourmous collection of dSLR's and lenses.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo
    - Jeff
    http://jeffwolfe.smugmug.com
    Canon 7D / EF 24-105L F4 / Tokina 12-24 F4
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    sara505 wrote:
    I don't have that option. I'm too embarrassed to say what version ps I'm using.

PS is just a tool.....I have tools (cameras ) that are over 30 yrs old and I can still use them....and when I do I am not embarrased to do so....as far as PS goes I still have PS7 along with CS installed on my PC.....I have been keeping 7 due to the fact that when I get my digital imaging down pat (as comfortable with digital as I was with film) that I have $1000's of plug ins to play with and I have found many of them have never been upgraded past PS7....oh yeah I still have ps 5 & 6 lying arouund here somewhere....had to uninstall them for some reason when I installed CS but 7 was able to stay.......

Also by letting those trying to help what your using it may help them to help you more easily.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 23, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    PS is just a tool.....I have tools (cameras ) that are over 30 yrs old and I can still use them....and when I do I am not embarrased to do so....as far as PS goes I still have PS7 along with CS installed on my PC.....I have been keeping 7 due to the fact that when I get my digital imaging down pat (as comfortable with digital as I was with film) that I have $1000's of plug ins to play with and I have found many of them have never been upgraded past PS7....oh yeah I still have ps 5 & 6 lying arouund here somewhere....had to uninstall them for some reason when I installed CS but 7 was able to stay.......

Also by letting those trying to help what your using it may help them to help you more easily.

I am still using the edition of ps I purchased many years ago when I was working for a newspaper, at the time that we made the HUGE switch over to scanning negatives and e-mailing our images - seems like ancient history now. Of course it was a big improvement over shooting, developing, printing, and hand-delivering the prints, but just the beginning of the revolution, the tip of the iceberg. Must have been '99 or so. Anyway, it's ps 5. Every year I tell myself, when I master this version I'll upgrade, and of course I haven't mastered it yet. Well, who ever does?
    I also have hung onto two 10-D's, that I love and use for everything - weddings, family shoots, etc. 1. I can't afford the latest models; 2. I am comfortable with the 10-D and, again, wanted to learn it thoroughly before upgrading; 3. It takes perfectly fine pictures - without the seemingly overwhelmingly large files of the newer cameras.
    I would be happy to upgrade everything - I am more than ready - but can't afford to right now. I am a poor struggling student, and photography, while it is a huge love - has been for thirty-five years - is only a part time gig for me.
    But I very much feel out of the loop when I read conversations about cs2, cs3, and the later model cameras.
    Meanwhile, I plug away with what I've got.

This has been a helpful conversation about RAW - Thank you! - I am hooked now. I figured out how to save, copy and paste recipes, making my workflow go very smoothly - especially when shooting a large number of images unde the same lighting conditions; much faster than ps, like being able to click "auto adjust" on every image.

Still don't understand "save," though. I was able to save some RAW files and DPP seemed to save parallel files - jpg and the original RAW - but I tried it again, saving the changes to the original RAW file, and it applied the changes, therefore changing the negatives.

Meanwhile, I plug away, poke around, and keep at it.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    I still have a copy of MASTERING PS5 mwink.gif.....and a few other "outdated books" I use from time to time...but I will need to start a downsizing real soon :D....you are very correct about not mastering one version before getting into another......they have been coming so fast that I doubt that Scott Kelby has time to actually MASTER any version of PS :D ..............

EDIT?
    : AS A student you could probably pick up PS elements5 for way cheap thru Academic Superstore and I believe it processes raw files but the gimp and bibble could be a way to go for free (gimp is not sure about bibble)......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 24, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    I still have a copy of MASTERING PS5 mwink.gif.....and a few other "outdated books" I use from time to time...but I will need to start a downsizing real soon :D....you are very correct about not mastering one version before getting into another......they have been coming so fast that I doubt that Scott Kelby has time to actually MASTER any version of PS :D ..............

EDIT?
    : AS A student you could probably pick up PS elements5 for way cheap thru Academic Superstore and I believe it processes raw files but the gimp and bibble could be a way to go for free (gimp is not sure about bibble)......

Do I want elements or CS?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    I'd recommend starting with Elements
    sara505 wrote:
    Do I want elements or CS?

As one who started with Elements, used it for a couple years and learned how to get a lot out of it, I generally recommend that people start out with Elements and later upgrade to CSx if they ever get to the point where they feel like they have mastered the power in Elements and are outgrowing it.

For folks who never grew up with Elements and own CSx, this will seem like heresy and I'm sure they would recommend CSx, but the deal is that Elements is amazingly powerful and it's way more than most people ever master. Also, Adobe tends to offer upgrade deals to Elements users so you can probably eventually upgrade to CSx for less than buying it to start with if you end up wanting it after awhile.

The one exception to my Elements recommendation is if you intend to do a lot of event shooting where you have to routinely process hundreds of photos at a time. If that's the case, then you need something that's really geared for the workflow of managing and processing lots of photos. From Adobe, that would mean either Lightroom or CSx, not Elements. But, for pure photo editing Elements is very powerful, is easier to get started with and can usually be upgraded to CSx later in a cost effective manner if needed.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question