Wondering about Canadians purchasing online from USA sites?

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited July 12, 2007 in Cameras
I'm considering purchasing a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 from B&H site. With Cdn$ almost at par these days, it's cheaper than buying the lense here in Canada (Nikon rep quoted $600Cdn on Sunday) it would seem. I'm wondering though about duty on the lense. Any Canadians out there with experience they could share?

Also, the imported lense is of course cheaper. Comments on grey market purchasing from B&H?
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    I'm considering purchasing a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 from B&H site. With Cdn$ almost at par these days, it's cheaper than buying the lense here in Canada (Nikon rep quoted $600Cdn on Sunday) it would seem. I'm wondering though about duty on the lense. Any Canadians out there with experience they could share?

Also, the imported lense is of course cheaper. Comments on grey market purchasing from B&H?

I just moved back to the states after 2.5 years in BC. Your three big hassles I see are customs fees, shipping fees and no warranty if something goes wrong. If you live close and travel often enough the warranty may not be a concern.
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    According to the B&H site, they provide a warranty but if the lense requires service, you must ship it back to B&H.
    I'm wondering if anyone has purchased from Canada to give an idea of how much of a $$ cut good ol' Cdn Customs & Immigration took from the lense pie. deal.gif
    mpmcleod wrote:
    I just moved back to the states after 2.5 years in BC. Your three big hassles I see are customs fees, shipping fees and no warranty if something goes wrong. If you live close and travel often enough the warranty may not be a concern.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • StravStrav Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    We ship to and from the U.S. all the time, and duty fees will indeed get you. Added to that the shipping you're going to have to pay from the U.S. will likely make up for any savings you think you're getting.

Have you tried these guys? Cheapest out of the bunch of camera stores in Toronto. http://www.adencamera.com/prod-overview.asp?ProdID=1209&Category=7

B&H has this lens on sale for $399.95.

If you include the 2 to 2.5 points your cc will add on the exchange, you'd be looking at $431.95 Canadian for that lens from B&H, plus tax, plus duty, plus shipping. Looks like you would be paying more when it's all said and done.

Perhaps wait for the $C to surpass the green back which could very well happen this year. headscratch.gif
    edited July 10, 2007
    Thanks for the link. I checked them out. I'm in Toronto on the 21st for some concerts so it looks like I might go shopping just in time for the next round Police concerts. Hehehe.....
    Strav wrote:
    We ship to and from the U.S. all the time, and duty fees will indeed get you. Added to that the shipping you're going to have to pay from the U.S. will likely make up for any savings you think you're getting.

Have you tried these guys? Cheapest out of the bunch of camera stores in Toronto. http://www.adencamera.com/prod-overview.asp?ProdID=1209&Category=7

B&H has this lens on sale for $399.95.

If you include the 2 to 2.5 points your cc will add on the exchange, you'd be looking at $431.95 Canadian for that lens from B&H, plus tax, plus duty, plus shipping. Looks like you would be paying more when it's all said and done.

Perhaps wait for the $C to surpass the green back which could very well happen this year. headscratch.gif

patti hinton photography
    edited July 10, 2007
    they're a good reliable store - you won't be disappointed. They have two locations as well - 1 block from eachother on the same side on Yonge. ne_nau.gif A little bit north and across from the now defunct Sam the Record Man.
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    If you're ordering from the US be sure to get it shipped by USPS. That way you avoid the brokerage fees that customs brokers charge.

If you're ordering from a Canadian website, I strongly suggest buying from an out of province retailer. That way you avoid paying PST. You just have to pay GST. Avoid a retailer in the Maritimes because you will pay HST.
    edited July 11, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    If you're ordering from the US be sure to get it shipped by USPS. That way you avoid the brokerage fees that customs brokers charge.

If you're ordering from a Canadian website, I strongly suggest buying from an out of province retailer. That way you avoid paying PST. You just have to pay GST. Avoid a retailer in the Maritimes because you will pay HST.

Good ideas. Thanks.

patti hinton photography
    edited July 11, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:

unless you have a PST exemption form, in which case no PST will be charged. I deal only with Fed Ex. Don't know about UPS. Do they add their own fee in because I don't see how you can bring a piece of equipment across without it being subject to some type of duty?
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Hi Patti,

I see that you are in Ontario. You can take a look here:

http://simonscameras.com

It is in Montreal so that you will avoid paying the PST if you are in Ontario. I have purchased several large ticket items from them with no problems.

The other option is to watch Henry's used stock. I have seen an 85mm 1.8 pop up there a few times at a reduced price.

Good luck in getting your lens... :D

Lee
  • rmarienrmarien Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2007
    I have purchased many cameras and lenses at B&H and have had them shipped to Montreal. There are no duties on cameras and lenses. Only the GST and PST are due on arrival. My latest purchase was a canon 500 f4. For canon USA produts as opposed to Imported, they come with an international warranty honoured by canon canada. Warranty service is thus done in Montreal. Brokerage fees can be avoided by using UPS expedited for shipping as they include brokerage fees. It is also one of the cheapest ways to ship. You will get a call from UPS prior to delivery asking how you want to pay the tax. No brokerage or duties.

Here is the link to the UPS site outlining brokerage fees and which services include them. http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Good luck
    edited July 12, 2007
    Staying in Canada this time
    After great debate and research (thanks everyone) I decided to go with the AF-S 70-300mm VR lense via Aden Camera in Toronto. I'm going to take a look at it on the 21st before the Police concerts ( seats off the floor row 23 this time ) that weekend. I understand it's about 7-8 in. long so I'm not sure how I'll smuggle it in yet. A third breast perhaps....
    anyone have this VR lens? I read nothing but good reviews from owners on my search.

patti hinton photography