Hiding Galleries/Categories

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited July 10, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Feature Request - ability to hide entire galleries/categories.

If the feature exists, I haven't found it yet. Why would someone want to do it? Glad you asked because I'm the perfect example! I started my Smugmug account to provide an easy way for Animal Control to download pet adoption photos that I would take for them on the weekend. I've accummulated over 2500 photos. I'm taking my Smugmug site in a new direction so I decided to hide the photos that were not ones that I wanted to display (I still need access to them though so I didn't want to delete them.) I had to individually hide every sub-category (all 100 or so) in order to hide the overall gallery. A better way of managing the galleries would be welcomed.

I probably could have written code but for those of you that have seen my customization posts, you know that I am a programming idiot! :-)

Thanks!

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Feature Request - ability to hide entire galleries/categories.

If the feature exists, I haven't found it yet. Why would someone want to do it? Glad you asked because I'm the perfect example! I started my Smugmug account to provide an easy way for Animal Control to download pet adoption photos that I would take for them on the weekend. I've accummulated over 2500 photos. I'm taking my Smugmug site in a new direction so I decided to hide the photos that were not ones that I wanted to display (I still need access to them though so I didn't want to delete them.) I had to individually hide every sub-category (all 100 or so) in order to hide the overall gallery. A better way of managing the galleries would be welcomed.

I probably could have written code but for those of you that have seen my customization posts, you know that I am a programming idiot! :-)

Thanks!

Have you tried private galleries? I think they are exactly what you want. You can have galleries that you can see and use and you can send a direct link to anyone, but they (and their categories) don't show in your home page.

Just go to the customze screen for a given gallery and set "public" to "no". You will still see this gallery on your homepage, but your viewers (who are not logged in) will not see it. When a category or sub-category has no public galleries, they will not show on your homepage anymore.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Yep...
    Have you tried private galleries?

Thanks for the response J. That is exactly what I did but when the galleries were originally created, they were public. In order to set them to private, I had to go into each of the 100 galleries and update them individually to be private. While I'm done updating mine, I'm just suggesting that it may be a beneficial enhancement for others that may run into this in the future as they gain a better understanding of what they wish to have displayed and not displayed after the fact.

I appreciate it.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Thanks for the response J. That is exactly what I did but when the galleries were originally created, they were public. In order to set them to private, I had to go into each of the 100 galleries and update them individually to be private. While I'm done updating mine, I'm just suggesting that it may be a beneficial enhancement for others that may run into this in the future as they gain a better understanding of what they wish to have displayed and not displayed after the fact.

I appreciate it.

Got it. SmugBrowser can easily change settings on an entire category of galleries in one operation. So, in the future, it would save time over doing them individually.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Got it. SmugBrowser can easily change settings on an entire category of galleries in one operation. So, in the future, it would save time over doing them individually.
    15524779-Ti.gif SmugBrowser is awesome....
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    All right!
    So much to learn and so little time. Thanks guys... I don't know how I missed this one.

Travis