Want Tack Sharp...please help

Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited July 15, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi everyone,
I am trying to get the below image crystal clear!! I don't know if it can be done because it wasn't super sharp to begin with!
I need this picture perfect.....this a REAL GENUINE SMILE from my daughter and this is rare!! She is my serious gal and I can hardly ever get a real smile out of her!!

I shot it in RAW, but my software is what came with my 20D and that is what I used for this.

171584407-M.jpg

I am still trying to find out if I can put a RAW image on here so you can see the original!

Thanks everyone and anyone who can help!
Heather

Comments

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    I don't see an image. Just the red X.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 10, 2007
    I don't see it either.

Do you have external links turned off for this gallery?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I don't see it either.

Do you have external links turned off for this gallery?

Sorry, it should be there now. :)
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Image is still not showing. My curiosity is going crazy now. :)
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Image is still not showing. My curiosity is going crazy now. :)

Ok, I must be doing something wrong, I am going to try it again.
    edited July 10, 2007
    Ok, I must be doing something wrong, I am going to try it again.

171584407-M.jpg

How 'bout now?
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Not much one can do with such a small file, but still, a little USM improves it.

p280742721.jpg
  • Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    I agree that the file size presents some pretty severe limitation.

The basic sharpening strategy I tries was to do a regular USM line sharpening on the K channel in CMYK, and a hiraloam sharpen on the C channel. The idea was to leave the skin tones alone, sharpen the hair and eyes, and use the hiraloam sharpen to add some interest in the water.

Before I did that, however, I decided to see if I could mitigate some of the blue light reflecting on her, particularly under her upper lip. I converted to LAB for this, and applied a warming filter using an inverted B channel both blurred and steeply curved to emphasize the effect where the image is bluest. This had the nice effect of adding texture to the pool, and took away some of the nasty blue reflection that was bothering me.

Then I did Margulis standard trick of overlaying the A and B channels on themselves, reducing opacity to about 17%. That got the colors about where I wanted them. Then I moved to CMYK for the sharpening. (I didn't like the L channel sharpening. If I was going to take more care on this, I would probably have made a duplicate image to extract the K channel and use it inverted for a sharpening mask. But this did the job quickly without too much damage.)

Duffy
    edited July 10, 2007
    Here is link to the orginial jpeg file:
    http://barefootandnatural.smugmug.com/gallery/1610491/2/139709824#171584407-O-LB

I really thank you for this!!!
    edited July 10, 2007
    Love the instructions you gave! I am still trying to learn everything you can do to a RAW image and it is so mind boggling!!

I feel I might have overprocessed this image because her eyes are a hazel-green and you can't see that detail in the image I am showing. :(
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    A combination of techniques

171677023-L.jpg

The Original

Nikos
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 10, 2007
    I think Duffy and Nikos both did a very nice job.

I agree that this image has a significant blue cast. It is not in focus, and probably suffers from camera shake as well...(.Not a nasty comment, I am just trying to say that there is a limit to what can be done with this file in my hands)

I downloaded the original jpg and opened it into Photoshop CS3 via the RAW converter (which is a nice feature of ARC 4.1) I decided to see if the light are along the bottom of the image was white or off white and used it with the eye dropper to set my initial white balance. I then opened into a jpg, and looked at the values for the skin on the forhead - I increased the red curve slightly to pull down the cyan cast, and I lowered the blue curve to increase the yellow slightly. I did us a sharpened K channel to blend with the RGB image and did a smart sharpen on the L channel as well.

After all this I still felt the skin was slightly too cyan, so I added a little more curve to the red channel, and decided to stop there.

This is my result

171737689-M.jpg

The full size file is available here -

http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/1789718/2/171737689/Original
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    As others have said - you will never get this picture "tack sharp". Here's my
    attempt at a slight fix:

p230994404-3.jpg

Change -3 to -5 in the URL for original size.
  • BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    I would be looking to reproduce this image at the smallest size possible - if lucky there would be way too many pixels for the output process/size and one could resample down in size and then try CS2 smart sharpen or just sharpen in an aggressive manner through an edge mask and with hiraloam method on the duped resampled down image.

I have some other ideas but no time to look deeper at the moment.

Good luck,

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    edited July 11, 2007
    I really want to thank all of you for trying!! I am sure most of you know that getting that perfect picture of you own children is sometimes a small defeat in itself!
    I am happy to report that I was able to get ANOTHER great smile out of her yesturday! I guess it is the Summer Time happiness coming out!!!
    Granted, this one has her BESTEST cousin in it, but I love it just the same!!

171875990-M.jpg

I just may convert that first one to b&w and play with it, so it looks as though the oof was intentional.

Thank you again for all your help!!
    Heather
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Couldn't get the original jpg to download, but I tried this with the image first posted.

sharpen.tif

Used a couple of high-pass layers, one at .5, one at 1, both in Linear Light mode at 100%. This created some godawful halos, but sharpend it nicely.

Merged to a new layer, turned off the high pass layers, duped the merge layer and used the old trick of putting one in darken mode, the other in lighten mode at 50%.

Made a group/layer set of those two layers and reduced the set to 80%.

A slight tweak in the red channel and a boost in yellow to the blue channel.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited July 12, 2007
    Since it looked like the image was truly OOF, I used "Image Analyzer" and its Deconvolution Filter, Gausian (default settings).

I felt this gave a pretty good rendition of the hair and good detail in the eye highlights. I did enlarge the catch light size in the eyes in PS.

I used PS to reduce the reflections that I felt were not necessary on the face.

Some USM and some exposure and color work and crop to 8 x 10 and a little cloning and I came up with:
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 13, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Since it looked like the image was truly OOF, I used "Image Analyzer" and its Deconvolution Filter, Gausian (default settings).

Ziggy, I will look into this app as I am always interested in deconvolution to help restore camera or minor motion blur. I was expecting more from smart sharpen in CS2 in this regard, I was not expecting magic, but can hope for more in future releases. Another two options:

http://www.focusmagic.com/

http://www.fixerlabs.com/EN/photoshop_plugins/focusfixer.htm

I would be interested to just see what Image Analyzer's deconvolution does with no other edits. The image that you posted has lost a lot of contrast when assuming sRGB or common non colour managed web browser viewing and I am not sure if it was due to other edits or using default settings etc.

I have a three step method of attempting to restore the appearnce of minor focus to an out of focus image, but it does not work well with movement. It uses a large DoG sharpen (difference of Gaussians), similar to HiRaLoAm (high radius, low amount) but less sensitve to noise than unsharp masking. Then it uses an overlay blended emboss filtered version of the image to fool the eye into thinking that things are a little more in focus. Optionally as the last step, the lighting effects filter is used, with the L channel of LAB pasted into the RGB file as a bump map channel for the lighting effects filter (the idea being to affect brightness as little as possible and not to introduce vignetting type effects at the corners etc). This is luminosity blended at reduced opacity/blend if sliders.

The DoG band pass filter simulation and many other simple actions are included in an action set found here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/convolution.html

I did not use curves first, but one should have a good steep curve/contrast in the image tones of interest, which will make an image appear "sharper" with no sharpening. EDIT: One can also add 'midtone sharpening' methods in Photoshop or 'clarity' in ACR4.1 or ALR1.1.

Attached is a JPG crop at original size. Left is the unedited sRGB image originally posted. Right is the 3 step method outlined above - note that no USM filtering or Smart Sharpen filtering or deconvolution has been applied to achieve the sharper version to the right. I would hope that deconvolution software can do a better job than this very quick attempt in Photoshop CS.

Sincerely,

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited July 13, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

I felt this gave a pretty good rendition of the hair and good detail in the eye highlights. I did enlarge the catch light size in the eyes in PS.

I used PS to reduce the reflections that I felt were not necessary on the face.

Some USM and some exposure and color work and crop to 8 x 10 and a little cloning and I came up with:

My apologies about the above image I posted. I processed this on my "Huey" calibrated system and I didn't check the image on any other system before posting. While it does look fine on the "Huey" system, it looks pretty bleached on my other systems.

I'll tackle it again when I have time. In the mean time, it should probably look more like this:
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • fehlingerfehlinger Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    I love it when we're invited to fix a file! I'm a bit late to the party but I had a go at it. Changed the color cast, adjusted for a warmer skin tone (did I go too far?), used Dan M's LAB steepening of the A & B channel, brightened the eyes a touch, USM, Noise ninja (I know, its an ISO 100 shot, but I find it can clean up even low noise shots). Cute shot, by the way!

Cary

smile.jpg
    Cary
    Indianapolis, Indiana
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    I might as well give this a whirl also :D

Took posted image from first page...

Duplicate layer -- USM (30-30-0) -- this sounds strange, but check it out - also gives pic some "pop"

Duplicate layer -- USM (100-1-0)

Duplicate layer -- Noise Ninja

Adjusted skin tone a bit

Adjust opacity of layers to taste...

172627758-M.jpg

172635009-L.jpg
    Randy
    edited July 15, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    My apologies about the above image I posted. I processed this on my "Huey" calibrated system and I didn't check the image on any other system before posting. While it does look fine on the "Huey" system, it looks pretty bleached on my other systems.

I'll tackle it again when I have time. In the mean time, it should probably look more like this:

Thanks for the notice ziggy, I was not sure if the lightening and loss of contrast was due to the deconvolution default settings or the other edits performed, so it would appear to be the latter, led astray by the monitor appearance. This is why many evaluate images both visually on colour managed systems (hopefully accurately setup) and "by the numbers" - be they RGB, LAB, CMYK, Grayscale etc. If the monitor appearance is saying one thing and the numbers another, then there may be a problem. Even with a poor Huey (or other make/model) calibration, the other images on the site from other users would have looked similar to each other for tone, while your image would have been very different (I am sure the Huey can do better, perhaps ambient light was a factor when editing?). This should in future be considered something to take note of. It can also be useful to have a printed reference image to compare to the monitor image to help establish calibration and colour management. Just as when printing, it can be helpful to compare a current print of a older print that is known to be accurate.

I have downloaded Image Analyzer and will check it out later tonight, thanks for heads up.

Best,

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx