Cleaning the PCU??? myself maybe???

BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited July 28, 2007 in Cameras
The first day after my Cannon 30D pourchase the camera was exchanged due to a "spot"... dirt on the PCU... Now, about 30 days later... in clear bluw sky pictures... 2 dots... $84 to clean those spots, that is IF Wolf Camera does it themselves, actually I have only come accross one that does... Otherwise... send it out... I only have one camera...
Has anyone cleaned the CPU themselves?... can I learn... or is that a no-no...

I am traveling by the way... appreciate it!!!

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

171598397-L.jpg

Can you see them???
The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
My Gallery in progress...
On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    BeemerChef wrote:
    The first day after my Cannon 30D pourchase the camera was exchanged due to a "spot"... dirt on the PCU... Now, about 30 days later... in clear bluw sky pictures... 2 dots... $84 to clean those spots, that is IF Wolf Camera does it themselves, actually I have only come accross one that does... Otherwise... send it out... I only have one camera...
    Has anyone cleaned the CPU themselves?... can I learn... or is that a no-no...

I am traveling by the way... appreciate it!!!

Be well...

Can you see them???
    Yes, it's a typical dirt spot. All dslrs get them sooner or later. Cleaning them yourself may look scary at first,but once you did it once there is nothing to it, really.
    There are tons of posts on the subject here, simply do a search for sensor cleaning.
    There are various ways to do it, from total DYI to very expensive kits.
    Every one has his own preference, I use rocket blower and Eclipse swabs.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • mtuckmtuck Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 10, 2007
    I feel your pain...
    Right off the bat, I see a spot in the upper left corner.

I just got my 30D yesterday and started shooting. I noticed some spots and did some f/22 testing. Here's my results:
    772338518_121238d0f6_b.jpg

I new that I'd have to clean the sensor sooner than later, but on the first day of shooting??? headscratch.gif Frustrating that after I drop the big buck on a camera, now I have to go and buy a sensor cleaning kit the first week.rolleyes1.gif

Good luck and nice picture btw.

~Tucker
    edited July 10, 2007
    mtuck wrote:
    Frustrating that after I drop the big buck on a camera, now I have to go and buy a sensor cleaning kit the first week.rolleyes1.gif
    Just get the rocket blower to start with. It's a $9..$19 thing, and it deals with 80% of the issues nicely. I'm trying to use it whenever I'm changing lenses (provided I'm in a "safe" environment).
    And yes, some sort of cleaning kit is inveitable, just as tripod, ballhead, release cable, dual exis level, filters and many-many-many other accessories.deal.gif It's a DSLR world, welcome to the money pit! thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 10, 2007
    mtuck wrote:
    I new that I'd have to clean the sensor sooner than later, but on the first day of shooting??? headscratch.gif Frustrating that after I drop the big buck on a camera, now I have to go and buy a sensor cleaning kit the first week.rolleyes1.gif

Good luck and nice picture btw.

~Tucker

Just never stop down to a smaller aperture than f5.6 and you will never see the dust motes on your sensor or in your images:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    THANKS for the info... I feel better now... I have very little connection right now, but as soon as I do better i will take care of it!!!... awesome...

Be well... had to wait to come to town this am... Washington State... gorgeous...

172303291-L.jpg

Be well.... Ara & Spirit
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Just never stop down to a smaller aperture than f5.6 and you will never see the dust motes on your sensor or in your images:D

Thanks for the tip... talking about tips... I cleaned the sensor myself... as mentionned it is not a big deal... but... now I have different "kind" of spots... f4.0... perfect!!!

Be well...

Ara
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Thanks for the tip... talking about tips... I cleaned the sensor myself... as mentionned it is not a big deal... but... now I have different "kind" of spots... f4.0... perfect!!!

Be well...

Ara
    Honestly mate..ignor it or it will drive you crazy. I just went & did mine out of curios...kuryosit..to see what its like.

You have no problems lol3.gif This is honestly my camera 5 mins ago.

177699904-L.jpg
    edited July 28, 2007
    gus wrote:
    This is honestly my camera 5 mins ago.
    O
    M
    G
    !!
    Gus, this is too funny! You guys have too much fun Down Under! rolleyes1.gif
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    I actually just bought the Copperhill wet/dry kit. According to the UPS site, I should get it on Friday. I'm sure it will be a bit nerve-wrecking the first time cleaning, but I should get used to it. I've had a few large spots for quite some time but was just too lazy/cheap to buy stuff to clean it.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • DanteDante Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    Red Bull wrote:
    I actually just bought the Copperhill wet/dry kit. According to the UPS site, I should get it on Friday. I'm sure it will be a bit nerve-wrecking the first time cleaning, but I should get used to it. I've had a few large spots for quite some time but was just too lazy/cheap to buy stuff to clean it.

I've been putting off cleaning mine forever...I'm just going to have to order a kit and get it done rolleyes1.gif.
    -Troy (Dante)
    If I notice any spots usually what I do is just do a mirror lock up and hold my camera lens mount facing down and give it a few strong blows (making sure not to spit on my sensor of course). It seems to work almost all the time. Sometimes it takes a few tries.

What kind of 'scooter' are you and your pooch traveling on? Man I would love to do that.

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    gus wrote:
    177699904-L.jpg
    Bahh.. It looks clean to me. rolleyes1.gif

My suggestion if you dont like cleaning your sensor, build a 'clean room' inside your house! It may cost just a little bit more than a sensor kit, but if you change your lens inside that room, the chances of getting a spec of dust in your camera drops to like.. 80%ish.

Plus, you get to wear these cool looking suits when you change your lens:

0d91563cd2.jpg

Well worth it. mwink.gif