Options

Snow abstract

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited February 20, 2005 in Holy Macro
Yesterday as the sun was getting low, I noticed a wonderful shadow play on the snow. Do these work? I quite like them, but I often like wierd stuff!
16037457-M.jpg

16037459-M.jpg

16037461-M.jpg

I have done no PP on these - they are 828 shots, manual, cropped perhaps...

ann

Comments

• Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    I like these quite a bit... the second is cool with the sun flare coming off the top. The first one I think would be a great challenge entry. The first one also has the best composition to my eye... it's a little more zoomed in, which enhances the curves and shadows of the main focus area. Does that make sense? It just seems to have stronger lines... The third one is similar to the first, looks like it was just taken a little later, but there's some funky purplish spot that distracts me near the middle a little to the right. Could be my funky monitor :) Good work!
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    I love the focus of the first one. Kind of makes you wonder what is beyond.. Nice shots!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2005
    of the three, #1 is definite winner. Seeing some flare and discoloration in the other 2. 1 is clean, exposed right, and focused perfectly, great bokeh too.

thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    I like #1 as well. Nice compo & the lighting is great.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    #1 is the best.. better lighting :)
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Deserves a Title
    BridgeCity wrote:
    Maybe something like Moody Blues
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    #1 is my fav, I love the flow in the composition, dof came to play perfectly.

Very cool shots!
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    gregneil wrote:
    I like these quite a bit... the second is cool with the sun flare coming off the top. The first one I think would be a great challenge entry. The first one also has the best composition to my eye... it's a little more zoomed in, which enhances the curves and shadows of the main focus area. Does that make sense? It just seems to have stronger lines... The third one is similar to the first, looks like it was just taken a little later, but there's some funky purplish spot that distracts me near the middle a little to the right. Could be my funky monitor :) Good work!
    Thanks Greg
    The funky purplish spot is some lens flare, I think. I tend to gravitate toward darker shots, but I agree with you (and the others) about the first being best.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I love the focus of the first one. Kind of makes you wonder what is beyond.. Nice shots!
    Thanks!

ann
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    of the three, #1 is definite winner. Seeing some flare and discoloration in the other 2. 1 is clean, exposed right, and focused perfectly, great bokeh too.

thumb.gif
    Hi Eric

Wait a minute - these are digicam (828) shots - not supposed to be able to get bokeh with a digicam..rolleyes1.gifmwink.gif

Thanks for the compliments!

ann
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I like #1 as well. Nice compo & the lighting is great.

Thanks, Thomas

ann
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    Thank you! Lighting wasn't all that different, I just played with apeture and shutter speed. But it does give that same effect.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    mslammers wrote:
    Maybe something like Moody Blues
    Hi Mel

Ahhh, a title! Not something I'm very good at, but your suggestion is great.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    #1 is my fav, I love the flow in the composition, dof came to play perfectly.

Very cool shots!
    Thank you - Yep, gotta agree about the dof on that one.

ann
  • Options
    CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    I really like the first one! Great clarity, and the sun is playing up those shadows really nice! thumb.gif

~Heidi~
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

• Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    Cosmic wrote:
    I really like the first one! Great clarity, and the sun is playing up those shadows really nice! thumb.gif

~Heidi~
    Thanks, Heidi!

ann
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    ann, i couldn't resist messing with #1. just a small curves adjustmnet, using the grey eyedropper.

16176626-L.jpg

tried to warm it just a bit, by accentuating the golden tones, and also adding a bit of contrast.

nice job!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 20, 2005
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ann, i couldn't resist messing with #1. just a small curves adjustmnet, using the grey eyedropper.

16176626-L.jpg

tried to warm it just a bit, by accentuating the golden tones, and also adding a bit of contrast.

nice job!
    Hi andy
    I like it! I didn't do a thing to these ones - probably because I had been thinking challenge material. Also, when I like something straight away, I typically do not do anything with it, even though
    1. most look better with some pp
    2. I am starting to get a much better grasp of editing and the power of curves.

Thanks

ann