LPS 9: Talk to me

tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
edited July 22, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
This photo is not about making a political statement, This pic is open for interpretation. For some it could be opression, for others it could be freedom of choice.
Please help me choose the shot. As always your valuable feedback is appreciated.
171646743-L.jpg
171648928-L.jpg
171649195-L.jpg

Comments

• kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    I like the photo you chose for the contest the best out of the three.

Although I think it would'be been better with a little more DOF so that both eyes were in focus since the eyes are what's expressive in the shot and having both in sharp focus would've had more impact IMHO.

Gene
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    kini62 wrote:
    I like the photo you chose for the contest the best out of the three.

Although I think it would'be been better with a little more DOF so that both eyes were in focus since the eyes are what's expressive in the shot and having both in sharp focus would've had more impact IMHO.

Gene
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    This shot cries to have the eyes looking straight at the lens. The one you currently have up in the entry thread is the best of the three, but even then, and I might not know what I see, it seems that it needs to be reshot to get rid of the little strip of shadow below the eye and above the veil. Perhaps reshoot and bounce some light in from above to get rid of it. It might help soften it somewhat... Maybe even shoot in conditions that don't put the sparkle in the eye.. But that's just me. Others, I'm sure, will disagree...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Out of the three, I prefer number one but would echo what HoofClix said, a reshoot with softer lighting to reduce the harsh shadow would probably help.

Matthew
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    This shot cries to have the eyes looking straight at the lens. The one you currently have up in the entry thread is the best of the three, but even then, and I might not know what I see, it seems that it needs to be reshot to get rid of the little strip of shadow below the eye and above the veil. Perhaps reshoot and bounce some light in from above to get rid of it. It might help soften it somewhat... Maybe even shoot in conditions that don't put the sparkle in the eye.. But that's just me. Others, I'm sure, will disagree...

I agree....I would try some straight on shots. They eyes need to be deadly sharp and compelling. I have a feeling this may not be the only entry of this type, so I would continue to experiment with different versions. (Definitely soften the light.)
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    I agree...you need more DOF so that both eyes are in focus.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    thanks for the feedback.
    I will try with F4 or F5.6 in daylight, since with such apertures at night means slow shutter speeds.
    Don't have any lighting etc., and do not want to use a flash. Used a table lamp to get 1/30 shutter speed ne_nau.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    I love #1 and for me the DOF works. The blur enhances the mystery by not showing all of her exposed face clearly just as the lace "blurs" the definition of her hair and her lower face.

Also, for me the shadows on her face do not distract. However there is a white spot near the left most side of her face and what looks like a stray thread just to the right of it. These can easily be removed.

All of that said, I agree with the others that you should keep shooting and experimenting with light, DOF etc.. You will only benefit and who knows, you may come up with something you like even better. mwink.gif

Virginia

Email
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Final take
    I have gone the B&W way, both eyes in focus. Though I feel the original is more aesthetic, this latest attemt it more "oppressedish".
    175814794-L.jpg
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    I have gone the B&W way, both eyes in focus. Though I feel the original is more aesthetic, this latest attemt it more "oppressedish".

15524779-Ti.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Interesting.........it works both ways. I like your current choice.