password question

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited July 11, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Checking my statcounter links, clicked on this one:

http://petespringer.smugmug.com/gallery/3123263

and it led me straight into the gallery. Cool-- except it's a password protected gallery and I wasn't logged into my website. This happened on Camino -- yes, I know it's not a SM supported browser but that shouldn't mean passwords don't work, should it? The passwords have always worked in the past when this has come up (yes, even on Camino).

I tried it on Safari and FF-- the password box came up just fine. But if I go back to Camino and I'm NOT logged into my website, the link takes me right into the gallery without asking for a password. :scratch

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Checking my statcounter links, clicked on this one:

http://petespringer.smugmug.com/gallery/3123263

and it led me straight into the gallery. Cool-- except it's a password protected gallery and I wasn't logged into my website. This happened on Camino -- yes, I know it's not a SM supported browser but that shouldn't mean passwords don't work, should it? The passwords have always worked in the past when this has come up (yes, even on Camino).

I tried it on Safari and FF-- the password box came up just fine. But if I go back to Camino and I'm NOT logged into my website, the link takes me right into the gallery without asking for a password. headscratch.gif

Once you've entered the password for a password protected gallery in a specific browser, the fact that you are allowed access to that gallery is remembered in a cookie for some period of time. It has nothing to do with whether you are logged in or not. You can see this by clearing your cookies, going to a password protected gallery when you are not logged in. You are challenged for the password. When you enter it you are allowed access to the gallery. Then, leave the site and come back. You will not be challenged for the password again because it remembers it from last time. In fact, any gallery that uses the same password will also let you in which is really convenient because you can give a whole sub-category of galleries the same password and have the near equivalent of a sub-category password.

Clear your cookies and restart the browser and you should be challenged for the password the next time you go in.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    ...the fact that you are allowed access to that gallery is remembered in a cookie for some period of time. ...
    one week thumb.gif
    jfriend wrote:
    Clear your cookies and restart the browser and you should be challenged for the password the next time you go in.
    15524779-Ti.gif