Youth Bull Riding 7/7/07 - Lots of pics

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited July 20, 2007 in Sports
Here are some shots from our Saturday youth bull riding shoot.

(For any folks that don't know... They start young kids off riding sheep so they won't get hurt, but they will have the opportunity to learn the basics of bull riding. It's called "Muttin Bustin")

Canon 1DMkII
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L

This is fun...
171646309-M.jpg

That wasn't fun at all...
171650970-M.jpg

They said "hold on", and I ain't disappointing them...
171646298-M.jpg

Good Job!
171646224-M.jpg

I love the smell of fresh plowed dirt...
171646274-L.jpg

Dad, it was great, he took off and...
171646282-M.jpg

Yeah, I think that was fun, ummm... yeah, I think so...
171650998-M.jpg

The rider got thrown off, but his hand got hung-up. Then the man helping got his hand hung-up.
171646166-L.jpg

That's what them fences are for...
171646153-M.jpg

This is perfect form (if your riding a bronc), but will get you short time on a bull...
171646125-L.jpg

Getting on the bull is optional --- Getting off is mandatory!
171646182-M.jpg

Now, it's finally gotten dark enough that the flash has to come out. Normally, I'll use 3 White Lightning 1200's, but outside the arena was still mostly underwater, so the strobes were out.

The following shots are with a Canon 580EX speedlight. Of course, for sports shooting, recycle times are the killer of what would have been many a great shot. So, we will open up the lens and up the ISO.

With the lens opened to f/2.8 and ISO at 800 - 1/250, (flash on ETTL +1 FEC) recycle times were down to an amazing low ~1 second, and would shoot 2-3 frames a second apart, then the flash would be drained, but the next shot (still at 1 second intervals) would be spot on again.

YES, I'm talking about the 580EX that many of you have...

1/250 - f/2.8 - ISO 1250
171646196-M.jpg

1/250 - f/2.8 - ISO 800
171646210-M.jpg

1/250 - f/2.8 - ISO 800
171650981-M.jpg

This last shot was from approx. 260' - from one side of this large arena, to the other side and on past that up to the parking area.

1/250 - f/2.8 - ISO 1250
171651636-M.jpg
Randy

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    hi Randy,

you got some fun stuff there, great action! clap.gif But I am really drawn to the fence sitters - it just looks classic.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    hi Randy,

you got some fun stuff there, great action! clap.gif But I am really drawn to the fence sitters - it just looks classic.

C.

Thanks Colleen,

Those are fun to shoot.

I thought the kids on the fence turned out nice too.

I'm really liking B&W's, and because I don't know what I'm doing there, I just got a book to "hopefully" help out on them.
    Randy
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Love the photos! Great action shots....love the b&w with the "guys" on the fence! thumb.gif

Would bet the boys would love to see the photos you took of them. rolleyes1.gif

Maureen
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    #6 is my favorite. Thanks for the shot info...great learning tool. Thanks for sharing.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited July 12, 2007
    NanaMo wrote:
    Love the photos! Great action shots....love the b&w with the "guys" on the fence! thumb.gif

Would bet the boys would love to see the photos you took of them. rolleyes1.gif

Maureen

Thanks Maureen...

The boys & parents will see them. There posted on my commercial site for sale.

I was waiting for the next bull/rider when I saw the cowboys jump up on the fence. That's a common thing, but this time they just happened to be spaced evenly on the fence. Just had enough time to get that shot, and get into position for the next bull rider shot.
    Randy
    edited July 12, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    #6 is my favorite. Thanks for the shot info...great learning tool. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks leaforte for looking & the comments...

After the "action" shot, I always try to take a shot when the cowboy/cowgirl meets up with their parent. Sometimes it's hugs, sometimes it's tears... but it's all good thumb.gif

As for the "learning tool"... that's what were all here for, isn't it? To help each other out.

Hope that info helps you out sometime in the future.

Your's is the first response to the flash info, but my guess is not that many people realize how powerful and long reaching the 580EX really is. (with a little help mwink.gif )
    Randy
  • MRudlandMRudland Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    Thanks leaforte for looking & the comments...

After the "action" shot, I always try to take a shot when the cowboy/cowgirl meets up with their parent. Sometimes it's hugs, sometimes it's tears... but it's all good thumb.gif

As for the "learning tool"... that's what were all here for, isn't it? To help each other out.

Hope that info helps you out sometime in the future.

Your's is the first response to the flash info, but my guess is not that many people realize how powerful and long reaching the 580EX really is. (with a little help mwink.gif )

All the rodeos out here do mutten busting or wild pony riding. I must say though that we don't use sheep with horns! Laughing.gif I've gotten some great captures of them both....good enough and close enough to realize that there is NO WAY I'm putting my kids on those sheep! They flip over too much. If the parents had the veiw I had as it was happening, I doubt they'd let their kids do it again!
    Michelle
    edited July 20, 2007
    MRudland wrote:
    If the parents had the view I had as it was happening, I doubt they'd let their kids do it again!
    Michelle

Hey Michelle,

Thanks for looking & the comments.

If your shooting in the arena (I do), just be aware that sheep have a crazy tendency to jump when close to someone. One of the bull fighters was getting in position to pull a youngster off of the sheep at the end of his ride. Well, the sheep did one of those grand jumps... POW -- head-to-head with the bull fighter. Knocked him clean out!

I've had many a close call with them, but there just warming you up for the "let's chase the photographer up the fence" bull riding events.rolleyes1.gif

Like this...

174992694-S.jpg

Or this --

But, I did take a pic while climbing the fence eek7.gif
    174984316-S.jpg

So, be careful out there.
    Randy