LPS 8 - Explosive Outtakes

Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited July 11, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I don't know if anyone is interested to see it, but I had a lot of fun producing the Sugar Rush photo in LPS 8 (once I realized I had to let the can get hot outside to make a decent burst after being shaken - out-of-the-fridge-cold didn't provide many "fireworks") and just wanted to share some of the pictures that didn't make the cut, but still looked interesting at least to me.

Coke-spray-confetti:
171712680-L.jpg

Kind of gross looking mucous-y effect on this one...

171712930-L.jpg

Nice forward shooting action, but not enough spray!

171713066-L.jpg

A coke tongue...?

171713318-L.jpg

Good spray, but the coke can face is over-exposed! Let's try it again - just what the wife wanted to hear :)

171713620-L.jpg

I went through eight coke cans before I finally decided I had a pic I wanted to use. The yard was quite caffeinated at this point.

And if anyone noticed, on the can it actually has a date of 2006 - this is back when I decided to start drinking diet cola, and I found them buried in the back of the fridge up until now.

The dirty work was done by my new photo assistant and loving wife.

I assume someone else must have had some failed attempts at catching explosions that might have made decent pictures but didn't make the cut for the contest. Feel free to add them to the thread if so...

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    This is awesome! I love people showing the outtakes after the contest! I actually did wonder about that 2006....that's some OLD coke! rolleyes1.gifthanks for sharing!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    WAY COOL....LOVE THEM...I was just wondering who was getting SOAKED with the sodas....

I didn't have sodas..but I had fireworks, and was thinking of entering one of them into LPS 8, but when I saw so many firework entries, I stayed with my original photo.

Here are three, which one of them I was thinking of entering:

264988086.jpg

OOPS sorry, I misuderstood, you want shots of the outtakes of the photos....
    This is the one that I was going to enter originally from the "rain" shoot...but we decided to go for the gusto, and just submerge her into the rain instead. I did entitle this one.."Then Came The Rains".

265077211.jpg
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    great outtakes guys.. Pat, You did make me very thirsty with that photo!!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Love the outtakes! Keep them coming. I think this should be a regular thing.

Jesse
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Now, if those had been Dr Pepper, I might have enjoyed your photo more!! rolleyes1.gif

I LOVE the "coke tongue". Hilarious!

Congrats again....
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
  • JFreemanJFreeman Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    I had first put this shot in. It is a night blooming cereus flower. The blooms last for only one night a year(happened during the full moon even) then shrivel up. To me that event and the shape of the flower evoked a feeling of a firework exploding. But I felt that might not be strong enough to stand against the actual fireworks.

168088639-M-1.jpg

Then I had this idea and it was the reason I sculpted the "BOMB" (using super sculpey) in the first place. I was thinking of a shot of a hand/hands cradling this cartoon/acme style explosive. But then I thought, I gots a top hat and long black coat, why not go all out. Plus it didn't seem to have the over-the-topness that a bomb labled "bomb" needed

171817171-M.jpg

Josh
    edited to add the flower shot
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Cool to see a bit of the 'work flow'. Your submission was fab. When it popped up on my 'new stuff' search during the comp I went...wow..explosive...congrats to you. Great shot and thanks for sharing the journey on this thread.
    Growing with Dgrin

• k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    JFreeman wrote:
    This was the original idea I had for the lps#8 and the reason I sculpted the "BOMB" in the first place. I was thinking of a shot of a hand/hands cradling this cartoon/acme style explosive. But then I thought, I gots a top hat and long black coat, why not go all out. Plus it didn't seem to have the over-the-topness that a bomb labled "bomb" needed

Great Thread! I LOVE the soda outtakes! Awesome!!!!

I also like the idea of this being a regular thread... I would love to see more of what others regected!

Jfreeman- I am soooo glad you went with the bomb picture that you did choose, I loved that one immediately when I saw it!!!!
    edited July 11, 2007
    k2butter wrote:
    I also like the idea of this being a regular thread... I would love to see more of what others regected!
    I'll play! This is my brother's wife, aka my assistant-in-training. Shooting their beach wedding two years ago was when I first caught the wedding and portrait bug, so you could say she's my original muse. :)

We set up a mattress on my back deck (it got to 95 that day, what a trooper!:whew) to get open shade light, and I had a couple of reflectors to her left to light her face, to look like a sunlit window was there.

1. This was the shot originally envisioned. The whole cigarette "after" idea. We decided a male model already asleep next to her would have helped, and I didn't feel like calling in that bizarre request to my brother eek7.gif so we kept going.
    170528383-S.jpg

2. this was a contender, but only one foot looked weird and the context didn't register
    170527744-S.jpg

3. Shot from an upstairs window (the 70-200 is heavy when you're leaning from the second story!) wasn't great on the theme, and i wished that second pillow wasn't on her hair.
    170529034-M.jpg

4. closer....
    170527424-S.jpg

5. I knew in camera this one was *it*, and I did some edgy treatment on it at first but decided it (and the tattoo) counteracted "sedate".
    170528116-M.jpg

ETA: Pat, apologies if we've overtaken your thread, I'm happy to start another one!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited July 11, 2007
    FABULOUS Shots Urbanaries...LOVE that FIRST ONE, the whole feel of it....the "After Glow"..Laughing.gif But I do LOVE the one that you submitted, it was something about the eyes that captured me...AWESOME.

PS: Pat said we could add our "outtakes" to this thread..
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited July 11, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I'll play! This is my brother's wife, aka my assistant-in-training. Shooting their beach wedding two years ago was when I first caught the wedding and portrait bug, so you could say she's my original muse. :)

Awesome photos, I can see why she is your muse, she is soooo beautiful... and incredibly photogenic!!!
    edited July 11, 2007
    JFreeman wrote:
    This was the original idea I had for the lps#8 and the reason I sculpted the "BOMB" in the first place. I was thinking of a shot of a hand/hands cradling this cartoon/acme style explosive. But then I thought, I gots a top hat and long black coat, why not go all out. Plus it didn't seem to have the over-the-topness that a bomb labled "bomb" needed

When I saw your entry, I fell in LOVE with it...I laughed, and all I could think of was the cartoon Dudley (DooRight?) and the evil landlord....Then I look at your Tecs..and thought FAB JOB! CONGRATS too btw!!
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Glad to hear people like the outtakes - I am enjoying them very much as well!

urbanaries wrote:
    ETA: Pat, apologies if we've overtaken your thread, I'm happy to start another one!

Not at all, I was definitely hoping other people would post their outtakes. I also didn't mean to be exclusive with my title to say only explosive outtakes... I was just trying to think of a clever name for the thead :D
    edited July 11, 2007
    k2butter wrote:
    Awesome photos, I can see why she is your muse, she is soooo beautiful... and incredibly photogenic!!!

I totally agree! I will pass that on to her, she is thirty-and-three-kids-something! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited July 11, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    FABULOUS Shots Urbanaries...LOVE that FIRST ONE, the whole feel of it....the "After Glow"..Laughing.gif But I do LOVE the one that you submitted, it was something about the eyes that captured me...AWESOME.

PS: Pat said we could add our "outtakes" to this thread..

thanks for your comments!!! CONGRATS to you too, you also had a lovely model to work with! Its funny, when you said something about being the "runner" up in case something happened, I was really afraid they were going to re-count the votes or something and I'd get bumped out...turns out that did kinda happen, but it thankfully wasn't me! Laughing.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Very fun thread
    Like most people my first thought was fireworks and I got some decent shots but nothig that wow'd me.

169978216-L-1.jpg

169976360-L-1.jpg

So I wasn't even planning on entering this LPS. I had a shoot with a co-worker and played around with sun flares and decided I would throw one of those in just so I had any entry. By the time I got home and uploaded the photos I had 15 minutes to edit, upload to my smugmug site and enter the competition. My entry made the time line by 8 minutes but did not get many votes. :cry

Natural Fireworks
    171014269-L-1.jpg

Maybe I should have tried the actual fireworks? ne_nau.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited July 11, 2007
    Hey Aaron, I love your shots and creative eye. I would love to see a composite of the second firework shot behind your love scene....LOVE SPARKS...Sparkling Kiss...Love that Ignites......Ok I'm loosing it now..Laughing.gif....
    edited July 11, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    thanks for your comments!!! when you said something about being the "runner" up in case something happened

ROTFLMAO....even the written words on a page things can get confuzzled..Laughing.gif

I was actually thinking along the lines of Ms. America...You know you have the winners, and the runner up is there, in case anything happens.....Plus, I didn't want to feel badly, so I called my self a "Runner Up"..it sounded PURDY and it keeps your Morale up (well in my crazy brain it does)..rolleyes1.gif
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    I have to say, Donna, this is a rich photo right here! It's filled with meaning, though I wouldn't have judged it "in-theme." No matter what, you have to say you're coming up with a great body of work in the process!
    Tentacion wrote:

265077211.jpg
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    My outtakes for LPS7 would be far more intersting. Would this be the place for them?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited July 11, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    My outtakes for LPS7 would be far more intersting. Would this be the place for them?

Why not make another thread????
    edited July 11, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:

I would like to see them....and Thank You for your wonderful compliment, I am very appreciative.