motorcycle/hiking lens

carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited July 14, 2007 in Cameras
I am looking at getting a lens for when I take my bike out or when the wife and I go hiking. I am looking at the following lenses for a Nikon D50.

Tamron 18-250
Sigma 18-200

I don't have the cash for the nikkor lens and I am looking at doing some hiking in the next couple weekends. Any body have experience with these lenses?

Thanks for any assistance
Carl

Comments

• MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Carl,

I think to better answer your question, you need to provide more information on the types of photo's you plan to take; landscape, macro, wildlife, etc. I will be taking my Nikon 18-200mm and 50mm lenses on my motorcycle trip this weekend. I like the flexibility of the 18-200mm because it provides me with a lot of range for my tastes. I purchased the 50mm for low light situations, or when I want to capture a sharper overal image.

I don't have any experience with the Tamron or Sigma. I would do a search for reviews on those lenses before buying. Personally, I would purchase a 55-200mm Nikon before buying either of the lenses above. It would compliment your kit lens and provide better quality shots.

Good luck, and safe riding.

Dale
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    I'm gonna guess that you want a general walking-out lens that can sort of do everything well, but doesn't have to do everything perfectly.

I have the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens and I love it. It has many drawbacks, however, like low-light capabilities, sharpness at longer lengths, and lens aberrations at the widest angles.

I say this as I wouldn't really find a use for a lens like this if it was even a little bit less quality. In my mind you would be better served to get better glass than the ones you mentioned covering a smaller range.

The Nikon 28-105 seems like a good buy from BH new for $250 ne_nau.gif . Good wide angle coverage and some reach. Don't forget to consider used lenses from your local shop!
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    I'm gonna guess that you want a general walking-out lens that can sort of do everything well, but doesn't have to do everything perfectly.

Yes that is basically what I am looking for. When out on the bike especially early in the morning I see some really beautiful sunrises, but also different wildlife deer, fox, and different types of birds. I don't have a lot of room and would like the best overall coverage for landscapes and wildlife.

I am considering used glass, but I am looking for some experiences with the lenses. I am willing to wait until I have the money for the nikon lens, but if the sigma or tamron quality is close I would be happy to save money also. The online reviews I have read all mention slow autofocus with both the sigma and tamron lenses, I am willing to live with slow autofocus if the quality of picture is good.
    Carl
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    I'd like to provide you with more info, but I have no experience with the lenses you mentioned.

BUMP for those with more experience.
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.