Sensor spots

GrissomGrissom Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited July 25, 2007 in Cameras
Given the posting by Beemerchef stating that he had a new camera out of the box with spots on the sensor, just how prevalent is this with a brand new DSLR.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 11, 2007
    Since some of the grunge comes from the camera mirror box and shutter mechanisms themselves, it probably depends on how carefully you look.

I do not immediately go out and shoot a few frames to check a new camera for grunge. I am much more laid back than that. Life is just too short, and I have other balls to juggle. Besides, it may be a used camera that I just bought and it will not be pristeen. I know that without looking.

With a new camera, I just go out and shoot some typical frames and look at them. I would not use a brand new camera on an important shoot if I had not previously verified that it was up to the task - and that would include checking the sensor for grunge.

I know one pro who shoots theatre with a 1DMkll, and says he has NEVER needed to clean his sensor with three years of profesional use. But then he ALWAYS shoots at the maximaum aperture for his lenses, so no, he does not see sensor grunge.

But if you shoot even gray skies at f22, and then do an Auto Contrast, you are guarenteed to see some - the question is "How Much"?

My approach, is to basically ignore it unless I am having to clone more than 3 or 4 spots per image. These are spots "in my picture files" - I do not mean spots that you see when looking through the viewfinder - those are not sensor grunge, as some folks new to DSLRs seem to think they are.

IF I am planning to shoot landscapes - where a small aperture is more likely - I may clean my sensor with an Artic Butterfly or a Sensor Brush before leaving. I, ONLY, do wet cleaning on a "Need to Clean" mode.

YMMV of course.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    Thank you Pathfinder... very helpful.

Be well.

Ara
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Before every event (for the most part, I photograph weddings), I test each sensor using a method very similar to the one referenced by Pathfinder (I shoot a white computer screen with my Tammy 28-75 at maximum aperture, zoomed to 75 and focused at infinity. Take the image and run auto-levels to show the dust bunnies).

If the spots are small and/or near the edges - no worries. If they are likely to show up in an image, I clean the sensor.

That little bit of time saves me bunches of time in post where I already have 100s of details to pay attention to and don't need the added detail of looking for dust spots.