From our 7-7-7 wedding

171719568-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    WOW! That is stunning! Congratulations! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Ike615Ike615 Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    great image. What ISO and Shutter speed did you shoot at and did you use a flash?
    Isaac Lane Koval
    www.kovalproductions.com
    Canon 5D & 30D:
    24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 70-200 f4L, 85mm f.1.2L II, 35mm f1.4L, 28-135mm f.3.5-5.6 IS, 580EX

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Ike615 wrote:
    great image. What ISO and Shutter speed did you shoot at and did you use a flash?

I'm curious, too! You seem to have an unusually long depth of field for this typically low light shot! Fantastic!!! clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Ike615 wrote:
    Thanks Issac. The settings were 1/80th at f2.8 @ 200 ISO. Nikon D2H and 28-70 @ 28mm. A bit wider would have been a help here, I couldn't get any further back.

There were two lights.

The video light you see near the cake and my SB800 set to -2 on a cord about 6 ft. to my left. I've recently started using more off-camera flash and I'm really liking the results.

I cheated a bit to bring out the detail in the background and the cake. I've made a little action for Photoshop that uses the Lucis Art plug-in. This lets me (almost) control my depth of field for these kind of shots and bring out a lot of detail - too much sometimes, but that's why we can change the opacity of layers :D

My bride is really into photography herself and very picky. Luckily she is really happy with the wedding.

There are a few more on my blog.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2007
    Cheers Elaine and Lynn.

Here's the colour version straight from Capture1, (I always use RAW). I didn't do anything in Photoshop. You can see how much detail LucisArt can find in those shadow areas in the dark background - in the cake as well.

172030851-M.jpg
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    clap.gifclap.gif

Gorgeous!
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Wow, that is a magnificent shot. I'm sure she's THRILLED with that one!
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    My gosh what a beautiful shot eek7.gif . As soon as I opened this I thought..."Good Lord!!!"

Awesome! thumb.gif
  • Options
    emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Fantastic....thumb.gif .....beautiful wedding gown!:D
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    Thank you so much for your comments Andi, Jan, Seneca and emmalou.

One of my aims this year was to get that pesky off-camera lighting thing under control so I could raise the drama of my wedding images. That's the fun thing with photography, there's always another challange.

I've learned just so much from David Hobby over at the Strobist site. I'd strongly recommend anyone wanting to kick it up a bit to read his posts every day.

Andi, I hadn't checked out your portrait project for a while - there was still snow the last time I looked. That whole self portrait a day concept is just so cool and it's great to see those glimpses into your world. I'd do s similar thing but, trust me, I'm best kept behind the camera :D