Options

Canon 350D / Rebel XT Review is up.

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited March 1, 2005 in Cameras

Comments

• Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    we-elll
    it's a preview :D Looks like a fine camera! Too bad it doesn't have the same batteries as the 20D, else it would make a fine backup.. Oh well, for now my EOS 5 and some rolls of film will have to do for backup rolleyes1.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2005
    why oh why have they changed the battery??!!? ne_nau.gif

D30, D60, 10D, 300D, 20D, all used BP-511's... why???
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    why oh why have they changed the battery??!!? ne_nau.gif

D30, D60, 10D, 300D, 20D, all used BP-511's... why???
    To make it small and light they had to use a small and light battery....which also has half the capacity. IMHO the 350D is a girls cam: small, light, the silver is glittery, space between the grip and the lens mount is narrow for think fingers.
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    I like how it has a lot more features added, but it just looks too small and girly. I was saying how I was going to wait for the new Rebel to come out before deciding on getthing that or that 20D, but after seeing it I'm going with the 20D. I'm sure it will be a great camera, but I don't like the size of it. The camera looks too short (length-wise) for its height.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    I like how it has a lot more features added, but it just looks too small and girly.

Why you sexist mofo. :lynn Be glad I'm getting to you before lynnma. :hang

It's an entry-level dSLR. Obviously a different sensor than the 20D, since it has fewer pixels (8.0 vs 8.2). It needs to be small, light, and work with small/light EF-S lenses if they want to capture n00bs.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Why you sexist mofo. :lynn Be glad I'm getting to you before lynnma. :hang
    Fish, you a girl?
    Richard
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Fish, you a girl?
    Richard
    nod.gif
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Oh. I always had Fish, with the shark pic and all picked for a...well nevermind.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Fish, you a girl?
    Richard

Yeah...you wanna make something of it?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    fish wrote:
    :uhoh No, no not at all :thwak
    . l. l
    . Fish. Me [ok, I've tried to edit this like 5 times and no dice, but you get the picture]
    :cry:cry:cry:cry
    bowdown.gif
    Richard
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    To make it small and light they had to use a small and light battery....which also has half the capacity. IMHO the 350D is a girls cam: small, light, the silver is glittery, space between the grip and the lens mount is narrow for think fingers.
    headscratch.gif Default color is black.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Well, if he don't... I will... :bash

Fish sticks anyone? 10944573-Ti.gif
    Sorry... I couldn't help myself! (o:|

:D
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Fish & i are dating as soon as i get to CA in may.. whether she likes it or not.

You keep trimmin' that nose hair now littl' darlin'....daddys on his way.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    I guess its normal for a big forum dummy spit when a 'NEW' model arrives. 1drink.gif
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Well, I'm a girl...
    ...and this one has me salivating and chomping at the bit! clap.gif Looks like maybe it's gonna be upstaging the Nikon D70 big time! 8 megapixels, lotsa upgrades from the 300D making it enough like the 20D for potential dslr newbies like me to get excited about, but lightweight (and smaller, too, for my little girlie hands, Laughing.gif!).

I think I'm love...with the price, the size, the features...the whole shooting shebang! As William Hung says...She bangs, she bangs...and she's got a lot of bang for the bucks, IMHO! I may have to hold out for this one (I've been wanting the 20D, but the issues for me were the price and size and weight -kinda big and heavy for little ole me!) So finally...Canon comes up with a dslr for us gals! Whoohoo!!! I'm stoked! I think I'll call mine Suzie ;) ~Nee rolleyes1.gif

btw, any news of when it will be available? I read and reread the review looking for an expected release date, and didn't see anything (or maybe I just missed it). Hope it's soon...very soon!!! rolleyes1.gif
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Heres some photos for you Nee

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/eosdigital2_sample-e.html

No high iso's there though.

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW GUYS....this new rebel goes to 1600 iso & the D20 goes to 3200. Where am i ever going to need that 3200 ?

I can appreciate what it is but man its not something i would use that much.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Seymore wrote:

Fish sticks anyone? 10944573-Ti.gif
    I can't tell if that's steam or stink rising from that plate. rolleyes1.gif

Is your last name "Butts"?

Because I recall that classic book, "Under the Stadium Bleachers", by Seymore Butts.
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW GUYS....this new rebel goes to 1600 iso & the D20 goes to 3200. Where am i ever going to need that 3200 ?

You would use the 3200iso if you were in a low light situation and you needed a faster shutter speed to prevent blur. Maybe even indoor sports. You should be able to get this on the 350d with a firmware hack once its created for this. same for the 50iso.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    GerryDavid wrote:
    You would use the 3200iso if you were in a low light situation and you needed a faster shutter speed to prevent blur. Maybe even indoor sports. You should be able to get this on the 350d with a firmware hack once its created for this. same for the 50iso.
    This is the thing mate...we have nothing 'inside' here. Everything happens out side in the day time...ceptin' for boxing.

Bout the only time i shoot like that is on the street where i have far slower movement.

Oh Jesus...im getting scared here that andy is gonna walk in like a drunk father any second & belt me like a red headed step child for talkin' instead of buyin'.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I haven't used 3200 yet. No need. 1600 with fast glass is really all you need. 3200 is probably really noisy.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    btw, any news of when it will be available? I read and reread the review looking for an expected release date, and didn't see anything (or maybe I just missed it). Hope it's soon...very soon!!! rolleyes1.gif

On this page they are stating around March 2005, nothing more specific than that.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Heres some photos for you Nee

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/eosdigital2_sample-e.html

No high iso's there though.

Well, you keep talking about shooting surfing in relatively low light, possibly with a relatively slow lens. If you do all of the above, the only way you'll get the shutter speed you need is with a high ISO.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 18, 2005
    Yo gus - I think the idea that the 20D has 3200 is basically, not that you'd use the 3200 very much, but at ISO1600 on the 20D you'll have much less noise than on the Rebel at 1600. So if you can envision using 1600 for the speed, the 20D will actually let you pull if off. with the rebel, you'll need a noise removing software.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Iso 3200:
    Used it

Abused it

Loved it :D

But if the Rebel XT can match the ISO 1600 of the 20D then it'll be very good! Just underexpose a full stop and push it in post for the rare occasions that you need the higher ISO....
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Used it

Abused it

Loved it :D

But if the Rebel XT can match the ISO 1600 of the 20D then it'll be very good! Just underexpose a full stop and push it in post for the rare occasions that you need the higher ISO....

I've found that you cannot push the high ISO's. They turn ugly. My experience is that if you use a high ISO, you better get the exposure exactly right in camera.

That's what I've discovered shooting in RAW at ISO 1000 and higher.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    I take it you mean banding?
    The right exposure on the spot is always best, but there are cases...
    That aside, I haven't been bothered much by banding on my 20D....
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    The right exposure on the spot is always best, but there are cases...
    That aside, I haven't been bothered much by banding on my 20D....
    No, not banding. I saw that on the 1D, but not on the mkII. I just mean plain old noise. If I dare to play with the Exposure slider on a high ISO RAW pic, I can't go very far before ugly noise intrudes. I also notice that there's even less latitude with Contrast in a high ISO shot - they blow-out far more readily.

All of which I take to mean that if you use high ISO, the exposure has to be spot-on in the camera, as you can't do much fixing in post. Which is a bummer, since I am technically weak at making perfect exposures. It's one of the many things that I admire about Andy's work - he understands how to get it right in the camera. :bluduh
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    You're right about noise... Still, with noise reduction one is able to get some fine looking shots, even pushed. I'm also very enthusiastic about high ISO B/W because it is way more forgiving in the aspect of noise.. I'm very appreciative of the high ISO performance on B/W shots when I compare it to ISO 1600 film pushed to 3200 or 6400, because it just looks d@rn good and you have a lot of latitude in RAW to play around with.. Underexposing 1 stop doesn't mean you'll have to push it back a full stop mwink.gif
    And Andy... well.... the guy's just GOOD nod.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Yeah, I agree completely about B&W. that's one place where you don't mind the noise. It adds character!

I have Noise Ninja, but I find myself reluctant to use it because it also softens the shot.
    Sid.
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    fish wrote:
    I can't tell if that's steam or stink rising from that plate. rolleyes1.gif

Is your last name "Butts"?

Because I recall that classic book, "Under the Stadium Bleachers", by Seymore Butts.
    "steam or stink"... That's all in what you want it to be. ne_nau.gif Ask the chef...

Nope... Not "Butts", but I have "Seen More"! thumb.gif (than I care to mention...)
    So, you read the book? Care to EMail me your PDF copy? :D