Options

How do I make effective image selections? (eg- to replace background)

2»

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited July 16, 2007
    That is an interesting Plug In for PSE - as the link says, Layers add a great deal of power to image editing software.

Unfortunatley, the Blend IF sliders are in this Dialogue Box in Photoshop

39901813-L.jpg

This is a part of the Layers Style dialogue box, and unless PSE supports Layers fully, I doubt this command is implemented in Photoshop Elements. The Blend IF sliders allow you to tell Photoshop how to select areas of the image (by color or lightness) to perform the Blending Option that you have chosen.

Since the Plug In does allow access to working in the LAB color space, you could increase or decrease the curves in the A, B, or L channels to good effect sometimes. Steepening the A or B will increase seperate and enhance the colors in Magenta - Green or Yellow- blue axis. Sharpening is frequently performed on the L channel rather than the entire RGB composite channel.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    The Blend IF sliders allow you to tell Photoshop how to select areas of the image (by color or lightness) to perform the Blending Option that you have chosen.
    Got it. Thanks. This is clearly one of the functions that Adobe has not put into Elements.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Since the Plug In does allow access to working in the LAB color space, you could increase or decrease the curves in the A, B, or L channels to good effect sometimes. Steepening the A or B will increase seperate and enhance the colors in Magenta - Green or Yellow- blue axis.
    Interesting. When I have had a rare free moment or two, I've been playing with curves, but haven't really gotten beyond the experimentation stage yet.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sharpening is frequently performed on the L channel rather than the entire RGB composite channel.
    I've seen this advocated in some of the Dgrin tutorials and threads. The results are often stunning. I'm not clear on how or why it works, but I can see that the method certainly deserves attention. (Is this related to the HIRALOAM method I've seen?) Interestingly, this Dgrin thread (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22524) is the first entry returned when you Google "HIRALOAM".
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    Got it. Thanks. This is clearly one of the functions that Adobe has not put into Elements.

Interesting. When I have had a rare free moment or two, I've been playing with curves, but haven't really gotten beyond the experimentation stage yet.

I've seen this advocated in some of the Dgrin tutorials and threads. The results are often stunning. I'm not clear on how or why it works, but I can see that the method certainly deserves attention. (Is this related to the HIRALOAM method I've seen?) Interestingly, this Dgrin thread (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22524) is the first entry returned when you Google "HIRALOAM".
    Your link brings up Chapter 16 of the review here on dgrin of D Margulis Lab Book - The Canyon Conundrum. You are probably better off with the beginning chapters, but yes, LAB is used for many tasks.

I take my images through a pass in LAB almost routinely.

The argument for sharpening the L channel - is that there is NO color information in the L channel, so sharpening no matter how hard should not create color changes or edges in your image.

Be aware - There are editing experts who say you can do the same thing in RGB and then Fade in the Luminosity Mode. You can find arguments about this that go on, and on, and on, and on. I tend to favor the use of the L channel for sharpening, because I remain unconvinced that the single swap from RGB to LAB and back to RGB causes any discernible damage to the image.

There are several different modes and techniques of sharpening. Several have been discussed here on dgrin, HIRALOAM is one of those.

The best book about sharpening is by Bruce Fraser. GOOGLE Bruce Fraser and sharpening and it will pop right up. Dan Margulis has a chapter about sharpening in his latest book also - Professional Photoshop Editing.

• Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    You are probably better off with the beginning chapters, but yes, LAB is used for many tasks.
    Yes, indeed I am better off with the beginning chapters. Thank you. And yet even then I have an odd and unnerving feeling that I'm slowly slipping towards the edge of the abyss -- with no full understanding of what lies over the edge.
    eek7.gif

I wonder what I've gotten myself into. :D
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    :D:D:D

Many of us have fallen over the same abyss, so don't feel alone....

When I first looked at Photoshop 5, which was a much poorer product than CS3, I was overwhelmed. It took me a year to begin to blumb its usefulness, and 4 or 5 years later I am still learning about Photoshop. It kind of grows on you.

Be careful - you could be infected also.....

I remember when we all started up with digital photgraphy because we thought that we would save money on film and developing too:D:D

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Awesome. This exactly, precisely, and accurately describes an example that duplicates my "defining the edge" problems. (By the way, I see that this 2004 posting was by jfriend at Smugmug. I'm going to take a not-so-giant-leap and conclude that that jfriend and Dgrin's jfriend who has been extremely helpful in this thread are the same person.)

Yep, it's the same me. Imagine my amusement when I see someone else refer to a 3 year old posting of mine from a different forum. I guess that's the power of search engines! That original dpreview post was back from when I did everything in Elements. It is very, very powerful once you learn how to use it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I remember when we all started up with digital photgraphy because we thought that we would save money on film and developing too.
    (heh, heh) Yep. Where is a "head-slap" emoticon when I need one?
    jfriend wrote:
    Yep, it's the same me. Imagine my amusement when I see someone else refer to a 3 year old posting of mine from a different forum.
    You can run but you can't hide. Must be a little eerie. It was a good posting though. I've really appreciated the specific advice you've given me.
    jfriend wrote:
    [Elements] is very, very powerful once you learn how to use it.
    :D I'm really going to be tempted to quote you the next time someone tells me I must buy CS because PSE is "from the poor side of the tracks." mwink.gif

:: crunching of gravel is heard ::

Oops. Just slipped a little closer to the abyss!!
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Photoshop Elements site
    Gary,

A friend told me yesterday of www.photoshopelementsuser.com it is somewhat equivalent to the NAPP site www.photoshopuser.com except it focuses on Photoshop Elements. You might want to take a look at it. You can register there or subscribe like NAPP to get their newletter/magazine and access to their members area.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2007
    Thanks dmmattix for the tip. I'll check it out -- after I get back from Africa in mid-August. I'll be trying out these new tools on my safari pictures.

I picked up Photoshop Elements 5.0 (Andrews) and that has been helpful to understand what is in PSE vs PS. Helps to eliminate frustration.