Problem with full screen slide show

Andrew GouldAndrew Gould Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited July 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have just 4 days left on my trial account, and do like SmugMug very much. However, there is one thing stopping me from signing up.

I have uploaded highest quality jpegs, not resized. These look fine on the SmugMug slide show, but not when I use F11 to go to full screen. They then show jagged edges, which I feel shouldn't happen as the originals are very large and look excellent when viewed full screen, directly from where I have them stored on the desktop of my laptop.

This is on a 15.4" supersharp widescreen Toshiba laptop with Vista, which I bought only a few months ago. Resolution is set at the highest, 1280 by 800, 32 bit colours.

The photos are here:
http://andrewgg.smugmug.com/gallery/3138717#172159167

I hope I can get an answer to this before my trial runs out. Thanks.

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    I have just 4 days left on my trial account, and do like SmugMug very much. However, there is one thing stopping me from signing up.

I have uploaded highest quality jpegs, not resized. These look fine on the SmugMug slide show, but not when I use F11 to go to full screen. They then show jagged edges, which I feel shouldn't happen as the originals are very large and look excellent when viewed full screen, directly from where I have them stored on the desktop of my laptop.

This is on a 15.4" supersharp widescreen Toshiba laptop with Vista, which I bought only a few months ago. Resolution is set at the highest, 1280 by 800, 32 bit colours.

The photos are here:

I would think that hitting F11 in the browser is just taking your image as
    viewed and stretching those pixels full screen. Smugmug uses the photo file
    to generate a size for full screen slideshow. This make any sense?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Andrew GouldAndrew Gould Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    I would think that hitting F11 in the browser is just taking your image as
    viewed and stretching those pixels full screen. Smugmug uses the photo file
    to generate a size for full screen slideshow. This make any sense?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, Allen. You could be right, in that maybe going full screen is somehow incompatible with the slideshow, although I don't see the photo being stretched, as it doesn't change size. I just like full screen because it gets rid of extraneous items and lets the viewer concentrate better on the image.

I would like to know if what I'm experiencing is the same for others with my type of screen.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007

The photos are here:

Hi and welcome - what browser please?
  • Andrew GouldAndrew Gould Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi and welcome - what browser please?

Well hi again to Allen and hello to you too, Andy.

Firstly. Allen, it seems you're right, here. I decided to email support and got a reply from Steve, who said he agreed with what you said. I didn't think it was stretching the photos, and that wasn't my aim. I just wanted to get rid of the address bar at the top of the screen for a cleaner view in slide show mode. This brings me to my reply to Andy.

The browser is IE7, Andy, but before coming back here, I got the idea of trying FireFox. Hitting the F11 key produced the jaggies, just as with IE7, and additionally, there seems to be a bug here because it is not possible to get out of full screen in FireFox. I tried several times, and had to go to task manager (in Vista) to get rid of the window.

However, this does not really matter, as the best part about using FireFox is that in slide show mode the address bar does not appear at the top of the screen. There's only the frame of the window, there.

It may actually be possible to customise IE7 to not have the address bar there, but I couldn't find how to do this. If it's possible, I guess I'll work it out. If not, as I say, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks to you both for trying to help out.