can I edit a lightroom shoot on two computers?

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited July 24, 2007 in Finishing School
I am trying to edit a set of ~200 RAW images on Computer A using LR 1.1. Now I need to use Computer B to finish the job. I had rated most of the images and edited a handful along the way. I'm trying to cull the entire set down to 25-30 images and edit those fully. The ones I edited I will need to copy those settings roughly to edit the final set, if that makes sense. I'd rather not do it all over if I don't need to.

I saved all unedited RAWs, as well as a copy of
Computer A's Lightroom's LRCAT file, to a backup harddrive.

Now, I'm on Computer B running LR 1.0. Imported the RAWs into LR successfully without copying them, but they're unrated and completely SOC. How do I point the program to read the settings from the saved catalog on external hard drive, rather than the one that's already on computer B? I am hesitant to just copy and paste the .lrcat file from the hard drive to Computer B, hence it would override and delete all the shoots I have saved on computer B's, which are different.

Clear as mud? :D

thanks!
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 13, 2007
    Can LR 1.0 read LR 1.1 files???

I don't think so - isn't that why the library was converted when the upgrade to LR 1.1 was introduced? I think both computers will need to be upgraded to LR 1.1 at the very least.ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    As I understand it, this is exactly the reason that Export Catalog was added to v1.1, so you can transfer work between computers.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Can LR 1.0 read LR 1.1 files???

I don't think so - isn't that why the library was converted when the upgrade to LR 1.1 was introduced? I think both computers will need to be upgraded to LR 1.1 at the very least.ne_nau.gif

right, i agree....am installing up date now. I was curious if there were configuring considerations before doing that, in regards to converting Computer B's Lightroom catalog. Ideally I'd have one big one that they both shared.
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited July 13, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    As I understand it, this is exactly the reason that Export Catalog was added to v1.1, so you can transfer work between computers.

AH, looks like I needed to export differently from Computer A. Not an option right now, sadly! :cry Good link, will come in handy next time!!! Thanks!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    AH, looks like I needed to export differently from Computer A. Not an option right now, sadly! :cry Good link, will come in handy next time!!! Thanks!

Did you try to open the catalog from the external HD via LR 1.1 on the B computer?
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Update to 1.1.

On computer A, export Catalog to disk (export negs & previews too).

On computer B, import catalog. Done.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
    edited July 22, 2007
    Here is a free video about using Lightroom multiple catalogs and/or catalogs on two computers.
    edited July 24, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Here is a free video about using Lightroom multiple catalogs and/or catalogs on two computers.

WAY COOL. I'm one of those people who have to see something in action before I actually GET it. Thanks!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited July 24, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    WAY COOL. I'm one of those people who have to see something in action before I actually GET it. Thanks!

I too like videos and have been watching a lot at lynda.com. It is not free, but if you can watch a few clips a day I think it is well worth it. They do have a few free clips in the beginning of each series.

Chris Orwig has several excellent training videos at lynda.com, both Lightroom and Photoshop CS3 for photographers. They have lots of other titles and specific Photoshop titles, but I have really enjoyed Chris Orwig's presentation. thumb.gif