Infrared Images

david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited July 13, 2007 in Landscapes
Recently I had one of my cameras converted to IR to let me get some different looks for our wedding albums. Here are a couple of images from recent events:

166313875-L.jpg
163209921-L.jpg
163209901-L.jpg

Our customers are really liking them.

Comments

• jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    These are great! Which camera did you have converted? If I have a wedding that is outdoors, I try to shoot a few IR with my old Sony F707. I haven't gotten any shots as good as yours, though. Thanks for sharing,

James
  • bavasshokiebavasshokie Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Beautiful simply Beautiful, I have to get a converted camera!
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    James - thank for the comment. The camera I use is a D70, converted by Life Pixel.

It took me a while to get the images how I want them. Out of the camera they are rather flat and unintesting looking. I shoot in RAW and make most of the adjustments in Capture1. My camera was converted with Life Pixels Deep BW IR filter so the images are BW right from the camera.

Here's what I do:

1. Set a pre-set white balance on a green area such as a lawn. I actually did this the first day and haven't adjusted it since. I know I could adjust WB in C1, but having it pre-set means one less thing to worry about.

2. Adjust the exposure - I find that whatever I do the out of camera image seems to always be a bit underexposed.

3. Use the Levels adjustment and drag the black and white end-points until they meet the parts of the histogram where the data actually starts.

4. Convert to jpeg.

5. In Photoshop run my LucisArt based sharpening routine and (maybe) levels or curves adjustments. I might also add a touch of sepia as in the third example I posted.

After all this, not every image is a success. The brighter the day the better results, at least that's what I've found.

Brian - IR is really a lot of fun. You'll have a blast when you get your camera converted.
  • bavasshokiebavasshokie Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    david_h wrote:
    James - thank for the comment. The camera I use is a D70, converted by Life Pixel.

It took me a while to get the images how I want them. Out of the camera they are rather flat and unintesting looking. I shoot in RAW and make most of the adjustments in Capture1. My camera was converted with Life Pixels Deep BW IR filter so the images are BW right from the camera.

Here's what I do:

1. Set a pre-set white balance on a green area such as a lawn. I actually did this the first day and haven't adjusted it since. I know I could adjust WB in C1, but having it pre-set means one less thing to worry about.

2. Adjust the exposure - I find that whatever I do the out of camera image seems to always be a bit underexposed.

3. Use the Levels adjustment and drag the black and white end-points until they meet the parts of the histogram where the data actually starts.

4. Convert to jpeg.

5. In Photoshop run my LucisArt based sharpening routine and (maybe) levels or curves adjustments. I might also add a touch of sepia as in the third example I posted.

After all this, not every image is a success. The brighter the day the better results, at least that's what I've found.

Brian - IR is really a lot of fun. You'll have a blast when you get your camera converted.

I went to the Life Pixel website and the do not convert Olympus and my plan is to buy the new Olympus E510 and get my Olympus E500 converted. I talked to a place in Europe but they wany $500 to do the conversion so I am looking and trying to plan it out now. Hopefully sometime around Christmas is when I hope to be getting it done!