Need Advice: D80?

kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
edited July 16, 2007 in Cameras
Hello everyone, newbie here.

I'm a beginner and I've been looking at the Nikon D200 with a 18-200mm Zoom Nikkor lens, but this setup is a bit out of my price range. Considering that I have no prior experience with DSLRs, is the D80 (w/the same lens) a good place to start?

Am I going to be missing any crucial functionality with the D80 that the D200 would provide? Or should I be looking at other manufacturer's comparably-priced alternatives? (i.e. Canon...)
:scratch

thanks in advance!

KitVan
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."

Comments

• flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    kitvan wrote:
    Hello everyone, newbie here.

I'm a beginner and I've been looking at the Nikon D200 with a 18-200mm Zoom Nikkor lens, but this setup is a bit out of my price range. Considering that I have no prior experience with DSLRs, is the D80 (w/the same lens) a good place to start?

Am I going to be missing any crucial functionality with the D80 that the D200 would provide? Or should I be looking at other manufacturer's comparably-priced alternatives? (i.e. Canon...)
    headscratch.gif

thanks in advance!

KitVan

Especially because you're starting with a DSLR, you can not go wrong with the D80. Of course, the D200 is more 'snappier', has a few more features, etc. It all depends on your budget. I would consider the D40/D40x as well, unless you need a camera with a focus-screw (D40 can not do auto-focus on lenses without a internal focus motor (AF lenses)).

Note that I own a D200, not a D80.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Since you are just starting out, I would opt for the D40 and 18-200 mm VR. The lens is going to be more valuable than the camera. By the time you get proficient with the D40, the price of the d80 will be less or there will be a replacement camera that is better.

Spend your money on lenses.
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    any other advice>?
    thanks for the advice- sounds right to me.

i'll look into the 40 and maybe the 80.

if anyone has other beginner setups that have worked for them let me know- i need all the advice i can get.

thanks

KitVan :D
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    in that you asked for advise:
    I agree with best lense possible with less expensive camera,
    also consider extra battery, memory card and lense filters.
    John
    (first post after de-lurking)