Wide Angle motocross, better lens?

j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited July 13, 2007 in Sports
I've been wanting to get a fisheye, but just can't justify the cost since I doubt I'd sell enough. So I got out the rebel xt's kit lens and used it at 18mm to get the shots below. Now I have the itch to get a nice, but budget WA zoom, maybe the Tamron?

The other photog's there thought I was crazy as I got right on the edge of the jump, pushed the camera ever closer to the action as bikes whisked by inches away. But the results, even with the lowly kit lens at f4.0 were nice to me. Since you aren't looking through the viewfinder, it's def. hit or miss!

I know the quality isn't so great and any lens suggestions is greatly appreciated. Here they are:

172391858-M.jpg

172392153-M.jpg

172392026-M.jpg

Comments

• UP N MTNSUP N MTNS Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    I really like number two.

The way you caught the action with both tires just a few inches in the air is a great shot to methumb.gif

Good work,thanks for sharing.

(On a side note the twin pipes on the Honda look good)
    Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    John Muir
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Nice shots.

I've got a 10-22mm EF-S lens I use on my 30D. It is considerably wider than my 17-55mm. I don't think you want a true fisheye lens, but maybe you do.

I have taken a few first turn photos from the inside of the turn and quite a few trials shots with this lens. This lens will definately put you at risk. Some promoters may or may not allow it. Not too much of an issue with trials.

I like the effect, but I don't think most riders do. I sell very few, if any photos using this lens.
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    I do like the shoots, the effect is very dramatic. But I would consider the safty factor. If these were taken in pratice and the riders knew were you would be or you knew the riders and staged it, that would be one thing. But if you are trying this in a actual racing event I would not advise it. Look at the protection the riders wear, Thats because MX is very unpredictable and a rider can come off the track at any point staged or not. A local MX photog comes close to this effect using extention tubes and he is still closer than I would be to the action, Telephoto is the only lens I use at a MX event.
    xtnomad :wink
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Really you have to look at the canon 10-22. My first copy was a real disappointment however i bought another from a forum member here & it is superb quality.

PS...if you think you are close to the action at 18mm wait until you are on 10mm !!!!