Qs for Lightroom gurus

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited July 14, 2007 in Finishing School
I have been using LR and I like it but there are a few things I haven't been able to find an answer to. Maybe you guys can help me out.

When I import a photo (RAW from my 30D), it comes up looking one way and then after a pause it changes. Contrast, saturation, etc changes. Now I assume it is applying some preset mods, but I can't find where to set that.

Also, I exported a few files and then looked at them in a different photo program (ACDsee, just a viewer). The exported photos are noticeably darker than what is in LR. Like 1/2 a stop darker. The only options for export are jpeg quality (I have set 90) and color space (sRGB). Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks!

Comments

• arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Depending on the speed of the machine and how you asked to import the raws, you're probably seeing the initial tiny JPEG embedded in the raw being updated to the LR presets. You can ask for this to happen at import so you don't see this update. Check the preferences and then when importing, the check box for preview building towards the bottom of the dialog.

IF you export an image in anything but sRGB and then view them in a non color managed application, they will appear differently. Check your export preset. I export in ProPhoto RGB which would look awful in a non ICC aware application but fine in say Photoshop since it understands how to interpret the numbers.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    You are right... I'm having the same issue... it's only because I need more horsepower. I shoot raw with my 20d and my 30d and the raw nor camera is the cause of the delay in image loading.

Not to mention my images are on a USB drive. That causes some delay as well.

Time for a new computer mate! My partner has a new duo-core PC and he has absolutly NO delay. It's nice.

Scott
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Thanks Andrew. I'm not sure this is exactly what I meant.

I don't have a screaming machine, so I do see things a bit slower! But I see this any time I switch to a photo. I see one version, and then a changed version. If I have applied crops, adjustments, etc to the photo then that's the second version I see (as I would expect). But if I haven't touched a photo, I still see it change to a different look.

I'm trying to figure out what changes are being applied to my photos by defualt and how to change them.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Thanks Andrew. I'm not sure this is exactly what I meant.

I don't have a screaming machine, so I do see things a bit slower! But I see this any time I switch to a photo. I see one version, and then a changed version. If I have applied crops, adjustments, etc to the photo then that's the second version I see (as I would expect). But if I haven't touched a photo, I still see it change to a different look.

I'm trying to figure out what changes are being applied to my photos by defualt and how to change them.

The JPEG rendering is built by the camera (that's how you can see the initial thumbnails). As soon as you bring the files into LR or camera raw, or even Bridge, it goes about building its own set of thumbs. These are based on the current default settings of which you can change.

In LR, you can when importing pick any user preset which will be built as the images are being brought into the catalog. Upside is you will see the new rendering when the importation is done. Downside is its a bit slower.

So, pick when you want to update the rendering (and how large, these are all preferences) and what default rendering you wish to use.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/