LPS#9 Entry Opinions, "Schooled"

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited July 14, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, I've decided to bite the bullet and enter one of these things, but I'm torn between color or B&W for my concept. What do you think? (Of course, other feedback is also appreciated. :D)

172824565-800x800.jpg

-or-

172825008-800x800.jpg

Which to choose? :dunno

Comments

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    I think I prefer the B&W version, however, I think I would crop more from the bottom to really make the hand (finger) the focal point. I find the brightness in the pearl necklace is distracting. Also, the focus and light seems to be on the curved fingers rather than the one which is pointed.

Perhaps try a reshoot?

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Thanks, Emily! iloveyou.gif

I actually don't want the pointing finger in focus as I'm going more for the "finger wag" than just pointing, and I feel the slight blur helps with that motion. I hadn't thought about the pearls distracting or cropping more. I'll definitely fiddle around with this some more.
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    I saw your picture in the entry thread before I came across this thread, and I immediately loved the picture and the concept both thumb.gif

Seeing both versions together, though, I definitley felt more *punch* and reaction to the color version. It just seemed more real to me, like I was in the actual moment.

Clever!
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    I like the B&W version the best... The whole image leaves me wondering what the teacher looks like especially her facial expression... I think the shot would have more impact if the teachers face were in it... IMHO :D

Good luck
    Winston
    edited July 14, 2007
    Thanks, stirfry! iloveyou.gif The "punch" from the color was exactly what made it so hard for me to choose! When I cropped it according to Emily's suggestion (which really did make a big difference), I cropped it in both the color and B&W versions, and suddenly the B&W had more impact for me. ne_nau.gif

Either way, it was certainly fun trying this theme out. :D
    edited July 14, 2007
    Thanks, Winston! iloveyou.gif It's funny you should say that, because that's exactly how this concept started out: camera zoomed back more so you could see clenched hands on a desk in the foreground and most of the teacher's body out of focus in the background, though her face was cropped above the nose so you could only see her mouth in this forceful "No!" As I messed with the angle and zoom, I realized I was really trying to make the viewer feel like the child being scolded...and the closer I got to that admonishing finger, the more "right" it felt. I may post outtakes later, because some of them really were comical. :D