Options

B&W Police Car

lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited February 19, 2005 in Technique
Just playing around with a photo I took earlier today.

Photoshop NOVICE - B&W, Gaussian Blur on building in background, and added slight grain.

Am I on the right track for this photo or should I adondon ship now? :dunno

Thanks!
Brian
http://www.studiotownsend.com/

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Great picture. I love these shots that are telling a story of their own. You just can't look at them, and *don't* wonder what has happened. The B&W conversion worked for me, it adds a nice flavor to the piture.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    I like it too. What's the story? ear.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 18, 2005
    just wondering what a tight crop would look like?
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Interesting shot.. I'd just play with levels or curves as it seems a tad flat..
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    story
    Thanks,

I do not know the history behind this. I was working in Forrest City, AR yesterday (between Little Rock, AR and Memphis, TN) and ran across this wrecked patrol car sitting next to the county jail. I always have my camera with me and I thought it would be a cool shot.

I like the crop Angelo, I'll play around with that. The reason I blurred the building is because I didn't want it to distract from the story - cropping does that also!

And I'll play with the curves and levels some also. I guess this is a good time to ask, what exactly does "flat" mean? I've seen that comment before and have never really understood it.

Thanks again!
    Brian
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    lr1811 wrote:
    Thanks,
    I guess this is a good time to ask, what exactly does "flat" mean? I've seen that comment before and have never really understood it.

Thanks again!
    Brian
    Basically, it means there's a lack of contrast in the shot. I think the technical types would say there's not enough separation between the whites and the blacks - the shot needs a wider range of gray.

The best tool for achieving that is Curves. But the easiest way is to simply play with the Contrast slider a wee bit. Purists disapprove, because you apparently damage the pixels by using Contrast. However, you'll instantly understand what it means for the photo to 'pop'.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    flat
    wxwax wrote:
    Basically, it means there's a lack of contrast in the shot. I think the technical types would say there's not enough separation between the whites and the blacks - the shot needs a wider range of gray.

The best tool for achieving that is Curves. But the easiest way is to simply play with the Contrast slider a wee bit. Purists disapprove, because you apparently damage the pixels by using Contrast. However, you'll instantly understand what it means for the photo to 'pop'.

Thanks wxwax, I am glad someone explained that!

The color of this vehicle is like a brown/yellow mix - another reason why I went B&W. I suppose there would be more separaion of my colors if the car was white - but I was working with some very similiar colors. I 'll still play with the curves though.

Brian
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Brian I should have explained myself better when I replied and I am glad someone was kind enough to explain it better than I could have. I am just learning myself..If you have photoshop and just slide the contrast bar slightly to the right you will see a big improvement in the shot and the car will pop a bit.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 18, 2005
    one downside; when you play with contrast you might find that the white windows of the building might begin to "pop" as well.

4labs wrote:
    Brian I should have explained myself better when I replied and I am glad someone was kind enough to explain it better than I could have. I am just learning myself..If you have photoshop and just slide the contrast bar slightly to the right you will see a big improvement in the shot and the car will pop a bit.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    one downside; when you play with contrast you might find that the white windows of the building might begin to "pop" as well.
    Yes indeed. nod.gif The danger of playing with contrast is that your highlights can easily burn out.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    I hope you don't mind , this was a good exercise for me as I am a novice when it comes to photoshop.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I hope you don't mind , this was a good exercise for me as I am a novice when it comes to photoshop.
    I like it better, so I moved the contrast to about 70 and the car really popped out well... Thanks!

Brian
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 19, 2005
    What ever the story behind how the car came to rest there, it looks to have
    been painful :D

Hope everyone was ok.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    whamilton101whamilton101 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    I really like this image.
    I wanted to show you an example of it with the windows and sky a little darker. It brings my focus to the car a bit more.

I did this in photoshop using layers. Pretty simple task.

www.screensurge.com
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2005
    nice
    I really like this image.
    I wanted to show you an example of it with the windows and sky a little darker. It brings my focus to the car a bit more.

I did this in photoshop using layers. Pretty simple task.

I like the darker colors. For my final, I cropped a good part of the building in my 4x6 and in my 8x10 I had to do some major cropping, which I was pleased with.

Maybe some day I'll ask "what happened" to that car. Or as my 4 year old says, that "broken car."

Brian