After thousands and thousands of dollars spend on DSLR...

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited July 18, 2007 in Cameras
I got out and blow $425 on a blue Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3A, (2) 4GB SDHC cards, and a second battery. :rofl

495273304?$medium_item$

After comparison to a lot of other camera's some review sites, I finally gave in and got one of these panasonic mega-zooms. I decided on this thing over the Canon SD850IS and Nikon S50C (which nearly had me won over with that awesome wireless download, but LOUSY battery). The thing sports a whopping 28-280mm f/3.3-4.9 lens, IS, and image quality that is "good enough" for me. I'm reading these reviews and had to keep telling myself to stop comparing this to a EOS body with a 70-200/2.8L strapped on it. Its meant to fit in our pocket and be a camera we feel relatively safe handing to someone so they can take a snapshot of my fiancee and I together. Can't wait to get it :thumb

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 16, 2007
    Congratulations and keep us posted.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • UP N MTNSUP N MTNS Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    I've been looking at one just to carry with me in the truck and walking around town....Please let us know how you like it, I'm still on the fence about picking one upheadscratch.gif

FYI: B&H has a $75.00 mail in rebate going on those till Sept 8..

UP N MTNS

Edit: I just placed my order for onerolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I got an extra battery and the Lowepro case with shipping mine came out to $354--minus the $75 rebate = $279thumb.gif
    Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    John Muir
  • S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    My brother (XTi owner) selected that for my parents -- I've used it, it is VERY nice! Enjoy!
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    I just got the camera in this morning. For a P&S I'm pretty happy so far. Its got easy to use flash control, exposure compensation, and the zoom is nuts! I'm not a fan of digital zoom, but when you have it set on 40x, thats the equivalant of a 1120mm lens rolleyes1.gif . The startup time is good, lock to lock zoom is fast, shutter lag is reasonable. AF compared to what i'm used to is like fred flinstone slow, but you can't have it all in a little package like this.

I haven't been able to go out and shoot yet as my SDHC cards are not arriving until tomorrow or the day after. Here's a quick series that I took, two shots at a time (then clearning off the onboard memory).

Now the reviews on this camera did say that the shots come out pretty flat, in need of post processing. Each of these images went through Canon Digital Photo Pro and recieved "100" (out of 300) on their JPG sharpening tool.

http://www.jdhaesloop.com/pani/P1000026s.JPG

28mm - notice the red/grey/black bike in the back there, on the kick stand (not laying down)
    P1000026s8.JPG

http://www.jdhaesloop.com/pani/P1000027s.JPG

280mm of that red bike
    P1000027s8.JPG

http://www.jdhaesloop.com/pani/P1000027ss.JPG

A crop of the red bike at 280mm, optical only zoom

P1000027ss8.JPG

http://www.jdhaesloop.com/pani/P1000028s.JPG

uncropped 40x digital zoom

P1000028s8.JPG

anyways... goes to show that digital zoom is crap and you are better off just cropping the optical 10x image thumb.gif
  • UP N MTNSUP N MTNS Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Thanks for the mini review... I'm looking forward to mine showing up soon.
    Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    John Muir
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    anyways... goes to show that digital zoom is crap and you are better off just cropping the optical 10x image thumb.gif

rolleyes1.gifI could have told you that! I had digital zoom locked out on my old P&S and have instructed my wife to avoid it like the plague--your test shots do a good job of showing why.

BTW, that first wide shot has some massive distortions, the building on the left is looking a bit lazy.
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Actually, I think this thing does pretty good w/ distortion. This shot looks funny because i'm shooting down and that building it at a slight angle. It makes it looks screwy compared to the deck railing. Maybe tonight i'll go out and shoot that brick wall and see how bad it bends in at 28mm. I think when you take away the screwy angles it'll end up being pretty flat in the corners. As far as being hazy... ehh.. cant argue w/ that especially when you have no control to stop the lens down and you are used to looking at SLR shots through L glass ne_nau.gif