Looking for advice on a shoot setup

afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited July 16, 2007 in Technique
Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice. I've never done a studio-type shoot, and I don't really have the right gear, but I have an idea for a project I'd really like to take on. Any advice would really be great! Here's the story....

Every year my girlfriend (a painter) and I are part of a small, local art show in Marblehead, Massachusetts. We share a booth and I show my photos and she her paintings. Last year we made a few hundred dollars, but really it's all about community and fun.

Anyway, the show takes place in an area of the town called Marblehead Neck. My concept is to set up a basic portrait area behind our booth and ask folks who come by to participate in my project entitled "MarbleHead Necks". I would then take portraits of people's heads and necks, edit and organize over the next year, and present it at the 2008 show. A little odd, I know, but I really think it could be interesting.

So, I have my camera (KM7D), portrait lenses (50mm 1.7, 100mm 2.8 macro), a good flash, and a great tripod, but that's it. What else will I need? The show is outdoors, so lighting could be difficult to plan for. I definitely need a backdrop, but what else?

I've never done something like this and any help would be amazing! I think I'm willing to invest $200-300, especially since any equipment will just become part of my arsenal, but of course anywhere I can save is preferred.

Thanks in advance! If I can share any more details that I haven't thought of, please let me know!

Adam

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Allow yourself to learn the art
    While the idea is somewhat clever, the logistics and the limited time frame of your community art show may be constraints that would prevent you from succeeding. Your primary reason to be there is to sell art I assume; taking portraits is another job.
    Consider setting up a lightweight portrait studio setup at your home (or elsewhere) and allowing yourself a whole year to produce the art. That way you will allow yourself time to develop the skill of formal portraiture. It takes a lot of practice both technical, and interpersonal, for your subjects to allow you to present them to the world. There is nothing worse than a lousy portrait.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    You don't need lighting equipment
    Like you said you are already showing some of your - why would you want to drag a bunch more equipment in as well? You will just end up having people ask you about the lighting equipment and therebye taking time and focus away from your work.

If you are looking to do a collaboration of photos they don't need to be super high quality perfect lighting shots.

Find a white wall and bounce your flash off the wall or ceiling. You can also use a bounce card or a diffuser to soften the flash. If you want to spend money you can by a Lightsphere or other similar items but I don't think it is really neccessary.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Hey Adam, The only thing I see missing in your aresonal is a pc cord for your flash and an umbrella. After that, your set to do shots like this.

I just used this link in another thread, but it is a really good wite up on how to use one flash and get really good portraits out of them. Read this and get a really good concept of what he is talking about.

Then go out and pop some test shots to get comfortable w/ the process. This will also show you how simple yet effective this setup is.

If you still think you need to spend money. My recomendation would be a beauty dish or some kind of reflector. It adds another to your light aresonal w/o breaking the bank.

Voila. Instant portrait studio.

If you have any questions about this stuff. Let me know. I'll be glad to help or look it up so I know later.

-Jon