Options

There are some true scumbags out there..

2»

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 19, 2005
    Bodwick wrote:
    Well it's all in Yahoo's cache. If Yahoo managed that in 24Hours then fine but having just got back from the pub I think a little investigation is in order...
    One little photography website? A server could cache that in 24 seconds... I don't follow
    headscratch.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    One little photography website? A server could cache that in 24 seconds... I don't follow
    headscratch.gif
    Well if it's only one little photography website then I suppose it's just not worth bothering about...Let him post what he wants....

If yahoo goes round caching everything 24 seconds after its been posted then I'd be surprised. A quick look at how Yahoo's been performing:
    "Posted Dec 11, 2004, 4:42 PM ET by Lil Lisa
    I just logged in and it worked!! Yes!! 4 the first time in 3 months i can see my mail!! Log in from the yahoo.com"
    http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/entry/6202198321031743
    A long tale of trouble...But if they can't get the e-mail running I'd be surprised if there cached pages were bang up-to-date...

I'd guess the site's been up for a while and don't believe the story of the 'youngster made the mistake not me'...But whatever, it's fair to run this sort of thing down and I'd hope the offender learns a lesson....

Anyway that was yesterday time to move on.......
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I realize this is bad, but honestly, you're starting to sound really biased. Like John Falk did you an injustice personally and/or Ascough is your best buddy.

If Falk really is an old photographer that has someone building a website for him and he shoots on locations, you really think 24 hours of having a website up (especially if in fact it was stupidly made by someone else) is a horrible injustice?

Everyone makes mistakes. If it wasn't malicious, give the guy a break.
    You know, here's the thing: You're right, it's not my website and Jeff is not my best buddy. But I AM biased and I do take it personally, as should, in my view, every professional photographer and/or artist.

Every person, when confronted with their own wrongdoing will try to come up with a story to get them out of it. Personally, I think his story is completely bogus. He sits down with some kid, who, on his brief, rips off an entire website (including images), publishes the thing and THEN goes about changing bits and pieces to change the name of the owner??? And J Falk never has the slightes idea? Give me a break.

Even IF you believe his story - i.e. he showed the sites he like to the kid and the kid then ripped them off, he is still responsible. And the site was not ON for 24 hours, it has taken 24 hours to take down. Quite different.

I've read J Falk's rather lefthanded apology and he sounds neither particularly contrite NOR apologetic.

I'm going away for a few days, so it's the last I'm going to post on this. Everyone's entitled to their view. I posted the original post as I think people should be aware that there ARE photographers out there who WILL quite happily ripp off everything you have worked for, designed and created yourself. I have seen nothing in the communications from J Falk to J Ascough that has remotely caused me my to change my mind, or think that this issue should not have been raised.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    But I AM biased and I do take it personally, as should, in my view, every professional photographer and/or artist.

Personally, I strive in all things to not take them personally.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Burn him! Burn him!

:uhoh you know it's bad when the Mild Mannered Moderator (tm) starts calling for blood.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson