AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited July 24, 2007 in Cameras
I have an AF-S 70-300mm VR lens put aside at Aden Camera in Toronto to take a look at next weekend before my next Police concerts at the ACC. I'll be up off of the floor this time (close to stage but 23 rows up) and need zoom. I'll be shooting hand held so thought it would be worthwhile to try the VR. I could use my SP550UZ with that 18x zoom but am anxious to try my D40X and hopefully get clearer shots/better cropping ability.

Any grinners around who've used this lens, particularly in concert scenarios? Opinions specific to this situation or general about VR lens pros/cons would be welcome. I'd like to be well prepped before I go to the shop.

Once again, thanks for all the terrific help here for a newbie.
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    I have an AF-S 70-300mm VR lens put aside at Aden Camera in Toronto to take a look at next weekend before my next Police concerts at the ACC. I'll be up off of the floor this time (close to stage but 23 rows up) and need zoom. I'll be shooting hand held so thought it would be worthwhile to try the VR. I could use my SP550UZ with that 18x zoom but am anxious to try my D40X and hopefully get clearer shots/better cropping ability.

Any grinners around who've used this lens, particularly in concert scenarios? Opinions specific to this situation or general about VR lens pros/cons would be welcome. I'd like to be well prepped before I go to the shop.

Once again, thanks for all the terrific help here for a newbie.

Haven't used the lens myself but I've heard lots of good reports from many very happy users of that lens. Its an excellent buy.

Its a tad slow for a concert lens though. There are better choices for concert shooting but they would come at a much higher price.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Haven't used the lens myself but I've heard lots of good reports from many very happy users of that lens. Its an excellent buy.

Its a tad slow for a concert lens though. There are better choices for concert shooting but they would come at a much higher price.

I'll bet they'd be pretty hard to fly under the radar of concert security too! My understanding of what I've read is that the VR will equate to 3-4 f-stops lower than without. Have I got that right?
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Hi Patti,

That's right. Although the VR will help you in regards to camera shake allowing you to shoot at slower shutter speeds, it will not stop motion blur.

Here is an old post from Andy regarding shooting Sting at a concert. Unfortunately, he was much closer and he shot with the 85mm f/1.8 but it is a good read.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11413

Best of luck at the concert. Have fun! thumb.gif

Thanks,

Lee
    edited July 16, 2007
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Hi Patti,

That's right. Although the VR will help you in regards to camera shake allowing you to shoot at slower shutter speeds, it will not stop motion blur.

Here is an old post from Andy regarding shooting Sting at a concert. Unfortunately, he was much closer and he shot with the 85mm f/1.8 but it is a good read.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11413

Best of luck at the concert. Have fun! thumb.gif

Thanks,

Lee

Thanks Lee. I'm VERY familiar with Andy's photos of the Sting-man. I am one of his wife's wacky Sting pals although I was not at the Jones Beach outing. In fact, Andy was kind enough to allow me to use a couple of them on my 50th birthday Tshirt last July at Bospop in Holland. Dom graciously signed the back of my Tshirt by his photo after admiring Andy's handywork. Here's a photo.

P.S. I'm usually close to the stage (but won't be this weekend). Maybe the 85mm for Nov 8th concert (row 2 then). Perhaps the 550UZ should end up as my choice for this weekend and save my $$ for the 85mm. Hmmmmm

patti hinton photography
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Hi Patti,

Nice photo and nice T-shirt! thumb.gif I have seen that image before. rolleyes1.gif

Row 2 and the 85mm f/1.8 would be sweet! Do you need to manual focus your 50mm f/1.8 with the D40X? I would assume that the 85mm f/1.8 would be the same...

I guess the next best thing that would still be "relatively" small and give you auto focus would be the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AFS VR Micro although I am not sure that the f/2.8 aperture is wide enough...

Then again I see that at least one of Andy's pictures in that thread is shot at F/2.8.

http://williams.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=22029858

The Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AFS VR is a nice lens but it is a bit pricey...

Looks like you have some decisions to make. mwink.gif

Good luck!

Lee
  • RandySRandyS Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2007
    Great lens (but not necessarily for concert applications)
    Patti,

I've had this lens for about two months now, and it is a great lens for outdoor and well-lit interior shots. However, I don't think that it will be particularly suitable for a concert -- this is just my guess, however. I suspect that you will need something faster. Nonetheless, aside from its prospective use as a concert lens, if you buy the 70-300 mm VR, you otherwise will not be disappointed.
    Good luck
    !
  • wizzywizzy Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Hi,

I have this lens for about 3 months now... and i love it. As mentioned above, it will enable you to shoot at 300mm out of the hand, without a (tri)-pod. But you'll need a 'faster' lens to do concerts. The lighting conditions will be very bad for this lens, and you'll end up with a lot of motion blur in the pictures i'm afraid.

I use the lens alot outdoor, and to shoot pictures of the soccer games of my son, or do the occasional spotting at airfields. The lens is pretty good for that kind of work: Enough light and lots of contrast in colours....
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    two words: high ISO
    or if you're old school: high ASA

Nikon VR is nice to counteract camera shake when shooting slower than 1/60, but it's not the same as a big aperture or higher ISO.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
    edited July 24, 2007
    Well, I ended up going with the 70-300mm zoom and have just managed to upload 2-3 photos from the 500 I shot at Sunday's Police concert at the ACC from my daughter's computer. Last night I got nipped by security after getting only one decent photo of Joe Sumner. Too bad. My seat had a perfect view and would have had fantastic photo ops. Oh well.....

http://pattihinton.smugmug.com/photos/176081096-M.jpg

http://pattihinton.smugmug.com/photos/176085199-M.jpg

http://pattihinton.smugmug.com/photos/176084648-M.jpg

patti hinton photography