PS CS3 Preferences

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
edited July 16, 2007 in Finishing School
2 Questions on setting up CS3 on a MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz w/2GB RAM:

1) In Preferences, how many Cache Levels? It defaults to 6, I used to use 2 since I only had 512MB RAM on a PC. Per the pop-up help, I think quality would be more important to me than speed.

2) I have in the past change my target colors for the white & black point in Curves. I was using 5 for black and 245 for white but I have seen recommendations for 20 for black and 240 for white. Opinions?
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    2) I have in the past change my target colors for the white & black point in Curves. I was using 5 for balck and 245 for white but I have seen recommendation for 20 for black and 240 for white. Opinions?

Yes.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    1) In Preferences, how many Cache Levels? It defaults to 6, I used to use 2 since I only had 512MB RAM on a PC. Per the pop-up help, I think quality would be more important to me than speed.
    Your not giving up quality when using more resources than your RAM can handle. Your giving up quantity (as in speed).

If you zoom in and out allot you want your cache to be higher.
    If your just staying at one or two zoom percentages. The cache sholud be set lower.
    Cache also affects your histogram slightly. Nothing noteworthy though.

Congrats on the new machine. I bet it's like greased lightning if your old machine had only 512MB!

-Jon
  • LAB.ratLAB.rat Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    I'm still struggling with this a bit as well... [CS2]

I want to make the best looking web version as well as the best looking print.
    If I use these 7 and 247 values from DavidTO's url, the web version understandably doesn't seem to look its best.

What would be the disadvantages / differences in using 0 / 255 (for web) and just doing this before printing, please?

levelscu5.gif

Would you use 7 / 247 for something like a Canon Selphy printer?
    Or would you print a test for what lightest "dot" it can hold?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    It's not just how you set them. It's how you use them, too. What points you're clicking on to set the white/black points.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • LAB.ratLAB.rat Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's not just how you set them. It's how you use them, too. What points you're clicking on to set the white/black points.
    I have to ponder over that one... headscratch.gif

I understand how and why you set the points from many tuts like it, but is it possible to name disadvantages from using the system I'm showing?

How are you guys doing it? Do you just use a 7 / 247 version for web (because often your versions look better than that (0 / 255 quality); just a feeling, I should measure it...).