Freedom of the open road

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited July 19, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Caught this the other day of one of the twins and it made me think of Freedom:

173437183-M.jpg

What do you think? Does it say freedom to you? Is it good enough to enter?

Thanks,

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Looks good... I would crop some out of the top and bottom so the main subject is more prominent in the shot...

Winston
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    This hits me right on! I, however, think that if you crop the bottom out, you'll lose the sense that the kid has been cut loose and will keep on going down the road.

(Reminds me of when my two daughters were still crawling. When we'd let the older one crawl in say a mall, she'd stay right close by. 4 years later with the younger one, no way. Put her down, and she'd just crawl on exploring. Have to keep an eye on her to this day!)
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    I would agree about not cropping this photo. I think because of the angle it was taken at you cannot remove any of the bottom. If it was a lower angle it would be possible.

As for the shot itself it is lacking what they call "pop". Try some more post process and concentrate on sharpening and contrast adjustment. Maybe b&w with more gray tones instead of these sepia tones.

Good luck!! thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    If you have a chance to reshoot, try holding the camera lower to shoot from the child's perspective. I think the perspective you have chosen here dimishes its impact.
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Love this! I am not crazy about the sepia though. How would it be in Black and White? or even partial color?
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Thanks for all the suggestionsthumb.gif

Well I went back and tried to rework it. Not sure if I made it better or just differentne_nau.gif ??

173837410-M.jpg

Unfortunately this was taken at my parents house and were not going back there until this LPS period is over.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

• KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    I do love the B&W version much better!
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    I think the B&W and Sepia both work equally well, but I think the gate is too far away in the B&W, so prefer the Sepia version.

Since you can't do a reshoot in the open period, if you agree with me about the gate, you could try cloning him in closer to the gate and clone him out of the bottom position. Then you could crop out the foreground.
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestionsthumb.gif

Well I went back and tried to rework it. Not sure if I made it better or just differentne_nau.gif ??

173837410-M.jpg

Unfortunately this was taken at my parents house and were not going back there until this LPS period is over.

Eric

The b&w white is significantly darker. Can you go in and lighten it? There is a lot of detail that is lost compared to the sepia version.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Try, try again:

174260681-M.jpg

Eric

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    IMHO the original sepia is great just as it is. Cool shot.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Looks a smidge too bright now. ne_nau.gif Some of the contrast between the child and the background is lost. Perhaps bring it back down a little, or simply up the contrast on just the child.

On the other hand, I also liked the original sepia. :D