Options

best lens for Macro (20d)

LabmanLabman Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited July 17, 2007 in Cameras
I do allot of Macro photography much of it with corals and marine animals I am looking at a few contenders what are your recondations please. this is about my budget I could go a little higher but like to stay in this price range. hope I posted this in theright area.

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 1:1 macro USM bh $469

Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG 1:1 macro $399

Tamron 90mm SP AF 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro $489 + 90 rebate

Sigma 150mm f2.8 EX DG 1:1 macro $499
Camera 40D (sweet) Yes I am still trying to learn to use it! Father,Dog Lover,Computers,Aquariums And loving life! :barb

Comments

• Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    My vote is for the 100mm canon. I really enjoy this lens but I have never tried the others.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    I've been looking at this recently (is everybody not already into macro trying to get into it right now or what? ne_nau.gif). From what I've seen the Tamron and Sigma 180mm are supposed to rival if not outperform the Canon macros.

I am going to start with the Tokina extension tube set and use it with my 24-70 and 70-200. If I decide to go further, I am strongly leaning towards the Tamron 180/3.5 macro; it's gotten a lot of really good reviews, and is $700 vs Canon's $1200 and Sigma's $800.

Looked again, that's out of the stated budget. Of your list, the lenses I've seen the most recommendations for & have looked the hardest at is the Tamron 90mm and the Sigma 150mm. Both seem to be at or near the top of the general macro lens to-get lists. However, keep in mind, I'm still at the research stage myself, so this is just digesting all my looking around & not personal experience with the lenses.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    I've been looking at this recently (is everybody not already into macro trying to get into it right now or what? ne_nau.gif). From what I've seen the Tamron and Sigma 180mm are supposed to rival if not outperform the Canon macros.

I am going to start with the Tokina extension tube set and use it with my 24-70 and 70-200. If I decide to go further, I am strongly leaning towards the Tamron 180/3.5 macro; it's gotten a lot of really good reviews, and is $700 vs Canon's $1200 and Sigma's $800.

Looked again, that's out of the stated budget. Of your list, the lenses I've seen the most recommendations for & have looked the hardest at is the Tamron 90mm and the Sigma 150mm. Both seem to be at or near the top of the general macro lens to-get lists. However, keep in mind, I'm still at the research stage myself, so this is just digesting all my looking around & not personal experience with the lenses.

Using the 70-200 Canon is a good idea and it works great too.
    Cheap and you can always buy the macro lens later

Check out this thread too

And welcome to Dgrin

Fred
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    Using the 70-200 Canon is a good idea and it works great too.
    Cheap and you can always buy the macro lens later

Check out this thread too

And welcome to Dgrin

Fred

Just curious: Labman said "with corals and marine animals". To me that implies wetwork (underwater) ... perhaps he needs to clarify as I am sure there are not too many reasonable-priced off-the-shelf housings that would hold the 70-200 2.8 or similar long lens. Customizable housings with longer ports, yes.

I would think the 100 2.8 would work, but would be significantly more than the crop 160mm equivalent since water magnifies another 10% or so.

Of course, Labman may mean surface shooting ...
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    Hussain-ArtsHussain-Arts Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    i already have Tamron 90mm SP AF 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro $489 + 90 rebate and it's working very great with me ... here's a sample by Canon 350D with that Tamron Macro Lense thumb.gif

S_P_I_D_E_R_by_Devil427.jpg

also love to use it for Portrait Pictures :ivar

Peace
    Canon 350D + Canon EF-S 18-55mm + Tamron 90mm Macro f/2.8 + Sigma 15mm Fisheye f/2.8 + Tripod + Mind + Hands.
  • Options
    wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    I bought the Tamron 90 macro with my 30D and adore it. I've not once regretted going with it versus the Canon.

- Wes
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Do you have a flash? If not I suggest you leave budget for one w/ a bracket and offshoe cord!!thumb.gif