Input appreciated

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited July 17, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok....finally found some time :wink How's this work?

LIBERTY OF LOVE

173542649-L.jpg

Your help is invaluable...thanks!
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Hey Swartzy...I really like your shot and title. IMO it just doesn't emblazon either theme for me...the title suggests many things, but the photo stops my imagination from running and seeking more...

I hope u understand what I'm trying to explain...i.e. Like 2 "Loving" males holding the child would be indicative to me of the plight against Gay Marriages adopting a child....(did this sound right??) which would indicate to me "Liberty of Love"
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Hi Swartzy. This is a really sweet photo. I love the facial expressions - so much love and trust shows there - and the fact that both are looking directly at the camera. I have to agree with Tentacion, though. It for sure doesn't suggest oppression to me (unless parenthood is oppressive and the dad looks way too content for that) and I just don't get freedom out of it, even with the title guiding me gently in that direction.

Virginia

Email
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    What a sweet picture - two handsome guys, that's for sure iloveyou.gif

My gut reaction isn't that of "Wow - freedom!" ... but in studying the picture (and going by the oppressive suggestions of other entries) I can see how the liberty of love a parent feels for a child can represent freedom. Maybe I only relate to this because it's been experienced in my own family ne_nau.gif how powerful and freeing truely-felt unconditional love can be. Heck, I see it from the other end where my kids feel such freedom in our relationship that they feel safe to act their unruly true selves in my presence mwink.gif but that's another thread for another forum!

I'm finding that these contests (for me) are less about becoming Dgrin's last photographer standing, and are more about really challenging myself and taking pictures *for me*. Nobody here "got" how my entry for the last contest fit the theme, but shown to others who could relate to nursing a toddler, they immediately got the connection. Depending on what you want out of this challenge, leave it as is and be pleased that you captured freedom as it appeals to YOU (and me rolleyes1.gif).

If you're here to take home the prize (thumb.gif) rework the concept by playing around more with the emotions of your subjects and background or SOMETHING to help others relate better to the Liberty of Love. It's a good concept and more difficult IMO to capture than the opposing entries - I appreciate and applaud your attempt in that regard. But I think you'll need a stronger image to more widely convey the sense of freedom that comes from love.

(Humble apologies for my diarrhea of the mouth this morning - eek!)
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Thanks All!
    I truly appreciate your input and honesty. Trying to capture an idea is a tough one for sure. I do have a completely different shot in mind and waiting for the right moment/set up. Probably get it done the next couple days. This would be a stretch for the theme, agreed, but then again, I've seen many place in the top ten that weren't remotely close IMHO rolleyes1.gif

Anyhooo.....off to shoot some other stuff but thanks for the kind words. I really like this photo as it does portray unconditional love and am grateful that I'm free to express it. thumb.gif BTW.....that's me & my grandson rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    BTW.....that's me & my grandson rolleyes1.gif

Awwww. iloveyou.gif I thought you were his Dad. :D

Virginia

Email
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Haha
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Awwww. iloveyou.gif I thought you were his Dad. :D

Virginia

You get lots and lots of points and a fresh batch of brownies rolleyes1.gif and here I just had a birthday (getting old ya know) but you've made my day! :ivar
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    WOW, I thought you were the Daddy Too!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote