Options

LPS #9 - First Submission, All Comments Appreciated..

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited July 17, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was thinking of submitting this for LPS9. Tentative title: Gatekeeper of the Legacy. All comments appreciated.

173558653-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Tom-

Welcome clap.gifclap.gif

I think this image is a miss because most people are not going to know what this statue represents - including myself.

Keep shooting - you still have time. mwink.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Tom-

Welcome clap.gifclap.gif

I think this image is a miss because most people are not going to know what this statue represents - including myself.

Keep shooting - you still have time. mwink.gif

While I am fairly sure I know what you are after, I am with Aaron. You are relying on viewer to know the story rather than telling it with your photo.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    I understand what you are saying. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks..
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Yep...
    Good idea....just a bit different feel and setting..the steps take away from the statue (which should be the subject or a solid part of it). Keep shooting! mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    Actually, just for historical reference, the statue is the Minuteman statue at the site of the Battle of North Bridge in Concord, MA. This was the second battle of the Revolutionary War. The wooden structure in the front is the bridge where the battle occurred. I wanted both in there because of their significance to the American Revolutionary War.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Actually, just for historical reference, the statue is the Minuteman statue at the site of the Battle of North Bridge in Concord, MA. This was the second battle of the Revolutionary War. The wooden structure in the front is the bridge where the battle occurred. I wanted both in there because of their significance to the American Revolutionary War.

It is a good concept with a lot of meaning but you have to remember this is a world wide competition so there are many that will not understand the significance in our history.

Many Americans will not either. Sad but true.

Good luck with the competition.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Hi Tom

I recognized the statue and the location immediately and, as a result, also understood why you thought of it for this challenge. I like the angle a lot because it does let you get both the minuteman statue and the bridge, but I find the DOF too shallow for my taste or maybe it's just the amount of space the bridge takes up in the frame seems to overpower the minuteman. I would also like to see a little more space between the minuteman's feet and the bridge, but it may be that you had no room to move to the left. For your portfolio I think it is well worth your working this shot to see if you can make it even better.

That said, I have to agree with the other comments about its suitability for LPS#9. Many people don't recognize the statue. Even in the southern US, folks are more likely to think of Williamsburg in connection with the start of the American Revolution than of the skirmishs that took place in Lexington and Concord. Imagine how obscure the meaning of the picture to you and me is likely to be to someone from another country.

If you followed LPS#8, you may have seen the threads about the entry of a D.C. fireworks picture with the statue of the raising of the US flag at Iwo Jima in the foreground. It didn't make the top ten. Even though the contest period encompassed July 4 and even though it is widely known that for many Americans July 4 is a patriotic holiday in which we honor our flag, the special meaning that the photographer saw in the photograph (appreciated by many, many other dGrinners btw) was not resonant with all of the judges and, in the end, the photo came in 11th.

Bottom line, check out who is judging this round, look at their galleries to get a feel for what they like to photograph (not that you should copy them, of course), read Shay's comments on entries in earlier rounds then give it your best shot and enter. Maybe you will win, maybe not. But you will learn a lot in the process, get some wonderful photographs for your porfolio and, I hope, have fun.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    The angle was a tough one. I basically had the river lapping at my toes. A little to the right and I go in the water, a little left and I start getting interference from other objects.

Thanks for all the comments. I got similar comments over in CCC in Smugmug and this was as much to solidify those comments and get a few more insights.

Thanks all...