I Love the sky

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited July 18, 2007 in Landscapes
I love the sky. I love clouds. I love flying in them, and I love seeing them.

The weather can't seem to make up it's mind lately. One minute the sun is shining and the sky is clear, the next minute you see things like this:
173648861-L.jpg

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    The best light is around the stormytime :)

clap.gif
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Oooooo, super cool. That's a really inviting looking patch of land contrasted by really dismal looking weather. thumb.gif
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Sweetness! Almost looks surreal. I love the way that greens really pop out when the sky is overcast. I really enjoy shooting portraits w/ flash in these types of situations. The colors tend to be amazing. Great job on this one. clap.gif

James
  • theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Awesome! I too love the sky and this is a very sweet pic my friend! clap.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
  • emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Wow! What a fabulous shot!
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Positively gorgeous.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Beautiful shot. I love the greens, the gnarled tree on the edge of the lawn and that beautiful stormy sky.

Virginia

Email
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    The best light is around the stormytime :)

clap.gif
    Yep, I definitely figured that out yesterday :D
    edited July 17, 2007
    Phil U. wrote:
    Oooooo, super cool. That's a really inviting looking patch of land contrasted by really dismal looking weather. thumb.gif
    Thanks! The 'patch of land' is really just a garden. And the Ultra wide angle made it look a whole lot bigger than it really is :) I think the grass 'field' is only about 30-40 feet deep :D
    edited July 17, 2007
    jamesl wrote:
    Sweetness! Almost looks surreal. I love the way that greens really pop out when the sky is overcast. I really enjoy shooting portraits w/ flash in these types of situations. The colors tend to be amazing. Great job on this one. clap.gif

James
    Thanks James! I've not tried portraits a lot, let alone in this weather, but I'll give it a shot if I remember. The scene above was really only visible for a few minutes, if that. I got lucky.
    edited July 17, 2007
    Awesome! I too love the sky and this is a very sweet pic my friend! clap.gif
    I knew I couldn't be the only one :D Thanks!
    edited July 17, 2007
    emmalou wrote:
    Wow! What a fabulous shot!
    Thank you, Emmalou, I'm glad you liked it thumb.gif
    edited July 17, 2007
    hamster wrote:
    Positively gorgeous.
    Hi Hamster, thanks for having a look and the compliment :curtsey
    edited July 17, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Beautiful shot. I love the greens, the gnarled tree on the edge of the lawn and that beautiful stormy sky.

Virginia
    Hi Virginia wave.gif and thanks!

Both trees left/right of the grass are (70+ years old) apple-trees.
    I have another tree which is actually my favorite, but not in this shot. It is an old wheeping mulberry.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited July 17, 2007
    I'm a little late to the party, but you know how it is with Southern Europe. :D

Wonderful light, calm and threatening at the same time. Very well done. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Ivar, I love the contrast of blue (clouds) on green (growy things). You even like flying in threatening clouds like that? :D
    edited July 17, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I'm a little late to the party, but you know how it is with Southern Europe. :D

Wonderful light, calm and threatening at the same time. Very well done. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    Hi Richard, thanks for your comment. The thread hasn't even been 24 hours old, so I don't think that qualifies as 'being late' :D
    edited July 17, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Ivar, I love the contrast of blue (clouds) on green (growy things). You even like flying in threatening clouds like that? :D
    Thanks Schmoo! Well, I love flying *around* these clouds :D
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 17, 2007
    beautiful shot!

I love how colors and textures are enhanced in this type of light.
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Very spooky. I like it a lot. Looks like it could be used as an illustration for the
    outskirts of Fangorn. :)
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Fantastic
    Your photo is fabulous. The colour contrast and light are somethin' else. You've captured that magical moment.

I love skies too. I caught a moment Sat. early am on my way to the market. Had to stop in Walmart parking lot and snap it. In seconds it was gone.

Is there a 'sky' thread here for posting pix? If not, maybe we should start one.

Thanks for posting this beauty. clap.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    I love the sky. I love clouds. I love flying in them, and I love seeing them.

The weather can't seem to make up it's mind lately. One minute the sun is shining and the sky is clear, the next minute you see things like this:

Just beautiful Ivar :)
    Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Gorgeous capture Ivar! I know it's all been said already, but I really love the contrast of the richly saturated garden (so peaceful and calm) and the menacing, dark clouds. It almost looks like smoke from a fire they are so black. Great shot!!! thumb.gif
    edited July 17, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    beautiful shot!

I love how colors and textures are enhanced in this type of light.
    Thanks, Angelo!

Yeah, I should find storms more often. I might have to shop for a raincoat for my camera :D
    edited July 17, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    Very spooky. I like it a lot. Looks like it could be used as an illustration for the outskirts of Fangorn. :)
    I had to look that one up lol3.gif not much of a (science) fiction person. Thanks!
    edited July 17, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    Your photo is fabulous. The colour contrast and light are somethin' else. You've captured that magical moment.

I love skies too. I caught a moment Sat. early am on my way to the market. Had to stop in Walmart parking lot and snap it. In seconds it was gone.

Is there a 'sky' thread here for posting pix? If not, maybe we should start one.

Thanks for posting this beauty. clap.gif
    Hi Patti, thanks for commenting!

I don't think we have a 'skies' thread yet. Feel free to start one thumb.gif
    edited July 17, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Just beautiful Ivar :)
    Caroline
    Thanks Caroline :)

I tried to take photos of the weather before, but they never really worked out for some reason. This was just at the right time.
    edited July 17, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Gorgeous capture Ivar! I know it's all been said already, but I really love the contrast of the richly saturated garden (so peaceful and calm) and the menacing, dark clouds. It almost looks like smoke from a fire they are so black. Great shot!!! thumb.gif
    Thanks Susan!

It did look very weird and surreal in reality as well. I actually didn't do a lot to this photo. I masked the sky and enhanced the clouds just a bit. The rest of the photo is untouched.

In reality the sky was actually more dark, but that didn't transfer over to the photo that well.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Patti, thanks for commenting!

I don't think we have a 'skies' thread yet. Feel free to start one thumb.gif

I think I will! Will you add this beauty to it? :D
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited July 17, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    I think I will! Will you add this beauty to it? :D
    Just did thumb.gif