Crocosmia 'Jackanapes'

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited July 16, 2007 in Holy Macro
In an ongoing effort to get to grips with macro photography (and I still maintain its amongst the steepest of learning curves for photographers of limited skill (ahem, me)) I look to flowers and insects.

This time, it's a flower.

Commonly known as "Montbretia" the 'crocosmia 'jackanapes' are growing on a county lane just around the corner from my house, though many gardens have them, mine doesn't.

I have not done anything with the colour or saturation on these two shots, only tweaked exposure, levels and sharpened the stamens.

C&C as always appreciated.

reedflower001.jpg

reedflower002.jpg

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Beautiful photos i like 1st one most ! iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Paul Iddon wrote:
    In an ongoing effort to get to grips with macro photography (and I still maintain its amongst the steepest of learning curves for photographers of limited skill (ahem, me)) I look to flowers and insects.

This time, it's a flower.

Commonly known as "Montbretia" the 'crocosmia 'jackanapes' are growing on a county lane just around the corner from my house, though many gardens have them, mine doesn't.

I have not done anything with the colour or saturation on these two shots, only tweaked exposure, levels and sharpened the stamens.

C&C as always appreciated.

Paul.

Hi Paul, your right about the learning curve, Macro Photography is not as easy to do as many posts on this forum appear to make it seem :D

The shallow depth of field to work with can be quite challenging to work with at times.

You did very well at isolating just the centre of the flower in the first shot,
    captured some lovely colour too.

Got a lovely blurred background for your second shot too clap.gif

Have you seen Brian's post on stacking images ???

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=61316

This is an excellent tutorial that is very easy to follow,
    shows stage by stage how to do it, and yeilds awesome results thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing your love of Macro .......... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Paul, your right about the learning curve, Macro Photography is not as easy to do as many posts on this forum appear to make it seem :D

I agree!! I talked myself into macro lens, bought it, didn't produced anything decent, had enough and want to sell it. Just not my thing. ne_nau.gif

Nice shots!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8