IPTC words created by Smug don't download to CS3/Irfanview?

mlougeemlougee Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited July 17, 2007 in SmugMug Support
When I create some caption text in Smug (which I believe is meant to become IPTC metadata) and then download that image to my desktop, neither Photoshop CS3 nor current Irfanview display any IPTC data. HOWEVER, when I create IPTC data in either CS3 or Irfanview and upload those images to Smug, Smug DOES display those words as caption text.

Relatedly, Picasa is meant to handle IPTC, and it sorta does (IPTC created in Picasa DOES show up in Smug, but not vice versa), but there were some oddities.

Have others been successful in getting IPTC to work bi-directionally? Similarly, if one edits the IPTC data for an image, it should always be changable, with the changes overwriting the older text, yes?

Thanks for any advice... IPTC metadata should be really useful for finding needles in big (and getting bigger every day!) haystacks

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    If you have IPTC keywords in your file and upload it to Smug, we'll use them.

But we don't write keywords you add on SmugMug to your original file.
  • mlougeemlougee Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    If you have IPTC keywords in your file and upload it to Smug, we'll use them.

But we don't write keywords you add on SmugMug to your original file.

Wow, tnx for the quick answer. I understand the answer, but is it OK if I don't like the answer?? My guess is that SM doesn't want to "modify" the metadata in an image, so that people won't get into trouble by doing that?

BUT, as people use SM to share images, and if people would rather use SM's captioning tools (which create IPTC data), it might be nice if you gave users a choice about whether the SM captions should be written into the file... maybe a Smug preference somewhere?

Thanks again for a quick definitive answer... maybe we'll just have to do stuff before it gets to Smug, with other IPTC tools.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    mlougee wrote:
    Thanks again for a quick definitive answer... maybe we'll just have to do stuff before it gets to Smug, with other IPTC tools.
    nod.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Adding IPTC data before upload makes most sense, that way you don't have to download it again, but you can use this if you want the keywords embedded thumb.gifhttp://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47160