Short Keywords like "dad" don't work

HappySmuggerHappySmugger Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited July 17, 2007 in SmugMug Support
It seems three letter keywords, like "dad" and "mom" are not searchable. Is this for real? Tons and tons of my pictures are labelled with "dad" and "mom". I'm sure this is true for many, many people.

What the work around, other than relabelling the thousands of pics? Is there a bulk keyword editor based on site (rather than gallery--i have tons of galleries and it would be impossible to fix it gallery by gallery).

Thanks!

Comments

• papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    An "alternative" (sort of)...to short key words.
    It seems three letter keywords, like "dad" and "mom" are not searchable. Is this for real? Tons and tons of my pictures are labelled with "dad" and "mom". I'm sure this is true for many, many people.

What the work around, other than relabelling the thousands of pics? Is there a bulk keyword editor based on site (rather than gallery--i have tons of galleries and it would be impossible to fix it gallery by gallery).

Thanks!

1st...the site-wide "bulk keyword edit" has been requested by numerous posters, and I'm confident it is on SmugMug's radar screen for implementation at some point.

This is admittedly not the answer you were hoping for, but there's a "non-elegant" alternative for you to consider in the meantime that works quite satisfactorily (IMHO):

Captions and keywords are searchable alright, but 3-letter captions and keywords are too short. Since keywords do not have to be identical to captions...(to me, it even seems like useless redundancy in the first place for "dad" to be both a caption and a keyword), why not make the keyword for "dad" long enough to be searchable without losing it's uniqueness?

Example...Leave captions as they are, but instead of using "dad" as a keyword, use something like "kdadk", or "qdadq", or "keydad", ""xxDad" or "what-ever-floats-your-boat-Dad" as a clone.

I'm married, so have two "dads" to distinguish... "Dad J." (my dad) and Dad B." (my father-in-law) in captions, but "zdadjz" and "zdadbz" as keywords.

The only real caveat is the need for consistency...whatever "code" ecryption you choose (eg one letter in front and one behind the actual keyword, or two letters in front and none in back, etc) just stick with the same encryption for all key words, or at least for all 3 letter keywords.

I've been using this method for months now for all my keywords, and quickly got used to doing it that way. Again, not elegant, but functional.

Eventually, when SmugMug adds site-wide keyword editing (or adds 3-letter search capability), perhaps I'll go in and do some clean-up...but I sorta doubt I will. I like the fact that keywords make it unnecessary in most cases to fully caption every shot.

Hope it helps.
  • HappySmuggerHappySmugger Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Thanks papajay! just PMed you. check your inbox.
  • brian.conaghanbrian.conaghan Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Short named searches
    You can set up a search that will find your short keywords, I use it for doing race numbers.

An example of it is here: http://conaghan.smugmug.com/gallery/3163317 (for example you can search for 952 in the box)

Of course, the reason I am on the board tonight is that this exact code is not working on a different gallery.

Oh, and I should have mentioned that the simpliest explicit link allows three letter codes like this: http://conaghan.smugmug.com/keyword/940

Good luck,
    Brian